We saw Wales!


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Wales » Cardiff
November 19th 2008
Published: November 19th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Driving into the city, we had heard that we could be visiting a city occupied by aliens. Rumor has it that the Welsh and the English don’t get along too well. We were curious to get a peak at these extraterrestrial folks. Grant had snatched us some sweet tickets to the Cardiff Blues (Wales capital) vs. the Leicester Tigers (England) Rugby match. This was my first non- OSU rugby match, but I knew I was equipped with enough knowledge to enjoy the game. The Leicester Tigers are CAT sponsored so Grant had a tough time deciding who (I realize gramatically speaking, whom is the correct word here, but I just couldn't do that) to root for, the home team or team CAT. Grant was a helpful fan clueing me in on any play I might of missed. It was a good fight, but the home team, Cardiff Blues claimed victory. The field was stormed as we too ventured down to lay our feet.

On to our evening and still no ET's around, we found an amazing tapas restaurant, which was quaint and cozy. The walls were covered in books in each nook and corner, painted and real, we enjoyed the unique pairings of our food and wine along with our atmosphere. After peeling ourselves out of the restaurant, we toured the city and did a small pub-crawl. As the night played on we got a real feel for the city and found that it’s quite a bustling area. The streets were blocked off as creatures crawled the winding roads. Bunnies, angels, and devils alike were attacking the party scene hard. There was only two explanations (if any at all) either, Halloween came a little early in Cardiff, or this is the way Welsh people dress and why they wear the ‘A’ letter proudly on the chest of their super man leotard.

The next morning... more rugby! We toured Millennium Stadium which granted us access into the locker room, the field with a retractable roof and removable turf as well as the VIP area which has seated royal bums such as the Queen of England’s herself and both Prince William and Harry. It was a cool ‘behind the scenes’ look at the ins and outs of such a large stadium and how they operate. We’re told tickets to the matches are next to impossible to get. Bummer!

A quick breakfast and a castle tour and we were winding down our Welsh tour. Cardiff Castle was beautiful. Each room told a story and our tour guide a good storyteller. After a few hours at the castle we drove to the harbor to get a glimpse of the other side of Cardiff. It was like two different cities. One side is quiet and tranquil while the other is costumes and bars. A complimentary combo- I must say. We grabbed a seaside meal and decided it was time to head home. We didn’t have any alien encounters but we did have darn good time!

We're doing our best to catch y'all up to the rest of our trips (we're in Germany now), but it may take a couple of days!

Love,

Ali & Grant




Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement

The lil' pee wees of RugbyThe lil' pee wees of Rugby
The lil' pee wees of Rugby

They were sooo cute!
Welsh pitchWelsh pitch
Welsh pitch

and wet hair...
MILLENNIUM STADIUM TOURSMILLENNIUM STADIUM TOURS
MILLENNIUM STADIUM TOURS

Right inside the field
MILLENNIUM STADIUM TOURSMILLENNIUM STADIUM TOURS
MILLENNIUM STADIUM TOURS

Welsh Rugby Union locker room
MILLENNIUM STADIUM TOURSMILLENNIUM STADIUM TOURS
MILLENNIUM STADIUM TOURS

I'm a big fan of cut-outs
Cardiff CastleCardiff Castle
Cardiff Castle

Inside the grounds
Cardiff Castle Cardiff Castle
Cardiff Castle

A shot from outside the Castle
On top of the center of the castleOn top of the center of the castle
On top of the center of the castle

Taking a picture of the flag


Tot: 0.222s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0406s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb