Crinan Canal


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland
May 28th 2015
Published: August 24th 2015
Edit Blog Post

26thMay

Banavie to Oban – 31nm

Early start this morning to get to Corpach, then had a short wait there for the tide. Good trip down, motored to start off with but ended up sailing so that was nice. Had some currents and channels to negotiate with, but all good. Oban marina expensive for what it offers, also have to pay extra for electricity and showers.



27th May

Oban to Crinan Canal – 23nm

Explored Oban this morning whilst waiting for the tide and then headed off to Crinan. Not a good day today. Rain nearly all day, cold, wind on the nose and for some strange reason, tide against us most of the way. Took longer than we expected. We knew we weren’t going to get to the sea lock before they closed for the night, but the lock keeper said we could stay the night tied up in the lock with the gates open to the sea. Not much tide and very protected inside so all good. Scotty was there to met us – he will stay overnight. He brought with him a Scottish version of Trivial Pursuit type game. Questions all on Scotland. Fortunately he won, but only just and only cause he was able to ‘steal’ a letter off Phil right at the very end. Admittedly Phil and I were mostly just guessing the answers correctly (it was multiple choice)



28th May

Crinan to Dunardary – 3nm

Hmm, long trip today. Lock keepers there to put us through 0830 and then we pottered up the most stunning canal. Just a short way, a couple of bridges opened by the time we got to them. Some parts of the canal so narrow. Have to sound the horn on the blind corners in case someone is coming the other way. Scotty stayed the day, helped us through the canals at Dunardary and then left for his 3hr drive back home after dinner. Good to have great company on board



29th May

Dunardary – Cainbaan - 1nm

Hmmm, long day today..hahahaha. Got through the 5 locks, but even that took some time. Going down though so much easier than going up. There was a little bit of room right on the end of the pontoon with power so we tied up there – nice to use electric kettle, toaster, heater and electric blanket. But still no probs if we don’t have power as we’ve been lighting the diesel heater recently and that makes the boat so very snug. We actually prefer it! Went for a walk this arvo up a hill to find some ancient rock art. It is believed to be between 4500 – 5000 years old!! Also found a burial mound where many knights are buried. Had to walk through some highland coos though, so didn’t want to get too close. I really don’t trust them or their horns!! Had a nice dinner out at the local restaurant/hotel. Phil’s meal was great, I had mussels for mains, and although the sauce they came in was great, I found the mussels to be a bit muddy. Shame, the rest was really good!!





30th May

Cainbann – East Loch Tarbert – 13nm

Gales forcasted for the next few days so we decided to get south while we could. Through more locks, bridges and then finally out of the Crinan canal. A lovely sail on flat water all the way to Tarbert. Which to our delight is a very beautiful little fishing village. So pleased to be ‘stuck’ here for the next few days!!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 26, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



Tot: 0.09s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0364s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb