Belfast


Advertisement
Ireland's flag
Europe » Ireland
June 3rd 2015
Published: August 24th 2015
Edit Blog Post

3rdJune



East Loch Tarbert to Carrickfergus (Belfast) – 77nm



A good sail/motor across but very chilly. Departed 0100 and had an uneventful passage (which is a good thing) across. Carrickfergus is a beautiful little town and lots of friendly people there. The marina is great and very well priced...great showers which we enjoyed.



4th



Caught the train into Belfast and did the Red Bus tour. Went to the Titanic Museum. A world class Museum this is and the tour is brilliant. We were just finishing when I saw a heap of kids with flutes walking down the stairs. We were waiting for our bus, so I watched....and then saw James and Lady Galway with them. They played a few pieces and were doing a promotion for world music day tomorrow. This was recorded to be played on the BBC tomorrow. Our bus came then so we had to go. How amazing to see this all by chance!!



5th



Back into Belfast this morning for a day tour up the top of Northern Ireland. We took the coastal road all the way up and went to the rope bridge and Giant's causeway. Also a whiskey distillery. An excellent tour of amazing Country. The Giant's causeway blew me away. I couldn't get over the rocks. Google it if you don't know about it. I'll add a bit of info from the internet.



Went to catch the train back, but the trains were all down as one had broken down a bit further down the line so no trains were running. So after some consultation with one who knows, we walked back past where we'd been dropped from our tour to find a bus stop that was heading to Carrickfergus. All the people in the line also waiting were very helpful, to the extent of telling us which stop to get off at. We then called into the Sailing Club where we met up with Margaret. She is the OCC port Captain here.



6th



Explored around Carrickfergus today and then back to the sailing club for sundowners. Met up with the Commodore and 2 guys who crew on his boat (also a green boat) and Phil was presented with a club tie. The Sailing club is just stunning, amazing views and newly built as ther old one burnt down just recently. Everyone was very friendly there. Would certainly recommend Carrickfergus and hope to return one day.


Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement



Tot: 0.383s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 24; dbt: 0.3374s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb