Jura Walk


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland
July 25th 2006
Published: July 28th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Weather Report

Warm and sunny for the most part although occasionally sun obscured by cloud. Strong wind on mountain tops.

Arrived at the service point at 10am - when it opened - only to be told that I could not use a portable storage device which is where I keep my blogs. Strange because this had been allowed by the same facility in Islay. No point in arguing so answered an email from Shirley and looked at the BBC website. Asked the lady in the office about camping in Colonsay. She ‘phoned her colleague in Colonsay who indicated that it was officially frowned upon but that I should be able to hide away in a quiet corner. We shall see.

Set off on a walk inland with no real goal. Eventually found one of the lower hills - Glas Bheinn (561m) and headed for that. This proved a delightful walk if a little hard going on the descent. Various interesting rock and glacial formations, deer, one hare and two eagles were seen. The terrain was quite boggy in parts and on the ascent my left foot plunged into a pool and not to be outdone the right followed suit on the descent.

Reached the summit shortly after 2.30 where I had a snack accompanied by a noisy crow that seemed to be displeased with the eagles. Marvellous views in all directions. The descent was uncomfortable because of the uneven terrain, boggy ground and horseflies but was completed well short of two hours.

Returned to camp to find several more tents close to mine so I will not be sad to be departing for Colonsay tomorrow.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.164s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0472s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb