Central Arran


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland
July 14th 2006
Published: July 20th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Weather

Hot and sunny - v hot ! All day !
Unlike last night which was cold. V cold.

Set-off shortly before eight and headed up the road known as the String which cuts across the middle of Arran. First part as expected v v steep - fortunately not too long and reached summit shortly after 9. The strain of the climb was more than balanced by the delight in sea a golden eagle close-up. Some good photos as it soared across the glen, perched on a telegraph pole and finally crossed overhead.

The last four hours of the walk (it was some ten miles) was less exciting although there was much attractive scenery. Several stops to rest, take on liquid and enjoy.

Arrived at Blackwaterfoot just before 1pm. Little there other than a small harbour and beach. Had my snack and rested up before walking around and taking a few photos. Really too late to go on anywhere else. Bought a hot water bottle in the local store - woman gave me a quizzical look but I explained that the nights were cold up in the hills ! That should be one problem solved.

Caught the bus back to base. Route was around the northern half of the island which I have yet to visit. Will have to visit again because the drive seemed to be late for he travelled at great speed frightening man, woman and beast - and that was just those on the bus. There were some pained expressions from oncoming drivers.

Eventually returned to tent just before five - early for me. A good day.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.093s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0468s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb