Out and About


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland
September 14th 2011
Published: September 15th 2011
Edit Blog Post

I went into Princess Park this morning. At the front end there is a cemetary. It is facinating to go through and read some of the tombstones. They really put a lot of information of the grave sites. Also many people died young, although that is not surprising given what they knew about child care and cleanliness. The streets here are not nicely laid out rows and columns, rather they branch off and then you come to an intersection with about 6 different directions you can take. Eventually I found the road that I wanted and made it to the last working weaving mill (in Edinburgh). That was interesting, and there were a lot of things to buy there. Next I wandered up the Royal Mile and made my way to the Edinburgh Castle. It, unlike the museums here, is not free. So as I get to the gate wouldn't you know it...my camera bttery died! I went in though and bought a year membership to Historic Scotland. Which means I get free entry to all staffed Historic Scotland properties, for a year. I had a walk around but I didn't get the audio guide or take any pictures so that is tomorrow's adventure!


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement

TombstoneTombstone
Tombstone

Hard to read but the females outlived the males of this family by a significant number of years.
Grave 1Grave 1
Grave 1

There is a seperate area where it is grass and these two headstones. You would think that those people would be buried here right?
Grave 2Grave 2
Grave 2

But they aren't. Apparently they needed a seperate open 'room' for the head stone and then they buried everyone in different places around the cemetary.
Princess ParkPrincess Park
Princess Park

Lots of flowers
EndangeredEndangered
Endangered

There are statues of Elephants, Crocodiles, and other endangered animals, all decorated by different artists that are for sale to help save these endangered animals.
Weaving Mill 2Weaving Mill 2
Weaving Mill 2

Down where the actual weaving takes place.
Kilts through the agesKilts through the ages
Kilts through the ages

A representation a kilts from different era's.
Kilts through the agesKilts through the ages
Kilts through the ages

A representation a kilts from different era's.
Edinburgh CastleEdinburgh Castle
Edinburgh Castle

From a distance.
Edinburgh Castle 2Edinburgh Castle 2
Edinburgh Castle 2

Close up of the Castle
Edinburgh Castle 3Edinburgh Castle 3
Edinburgh Castle 3

The view from Edinburgh Castle. (Just before my camera died).


Tot: 0.053s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0313s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb