Day 15 - Tongue - John O'Groats


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland
June 7th 2008
Published: June 11th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


The Final Push, leaving Tongue YHThe Final Push, leaving Tongue YHThe Final Push, leaving Tongue YH

Rolfe implores the gods to provide flat roads and kind weather.
It would be fitting if we could find some profound words to summarise the final hours of our adventure. Frankly, parts of the last day took a lot out of us, so you'll have to make do with this.

We awoke with a strangely nervous anticipation of the day ahead. We'd already cycled 940 miles, through some awful weather at times (see day 3), and had longer days (see 1, 3 and 7), so why the butterflies in the stomach now?

Perhaps we somehow knew what lay round the corner. The rugged 30 miles of coastline to the east of Tongue were some of the hardest we'd faced. The frequency of lung-busting climbs, over uninhabited rugged moorland, and down into little villages and sandy coves, provided a very physical reminder of what a diverse country we inhabit.

The second half of the journey, through Thurso and towards the end, were flatter. However, our old enemy - the headwind - returned, for one last attempt to thwart us.

It couldn't. We made it. Shortly after 3pm and over 1000 miles from Land's End. Michelle (Gareth's girlfriend) awaited our arrival with champagne, cakes and a car. We gratefully drank,
John O'Groats!John O'Groats!John O'Groats!

We made it. Admittedly, this could be anywhere. You'll have to take our word for it.
ate and sped south.

63 miles. 8 big climbs. A lot of wind - some caused by weather, some by very fine burgers in Thurso. The end.

Advertisement



11th June 2008

By jove they've done it!
Well done guys. Sometimes I have felt pleased to be inside whilst you were battling the elements and other times jealous. A great achievement.
11th June 2008

Well done and Congratulations!
Well done buckaroos... great effort... So Gareth... was this harder than delivering a project at a certain company you used to work at???? ;)
11th June 2008

Well Done Chaps!!
Congratulations fellas - what an achievement! Will you be cycling home now?
11th June 2008

Well done lads!
Amazing trip, thanks for keeping us entertained with the blog and congratulations on your two-wheeled achievement (or should that be six-wheeled?). Hope you enjoyed it!
11th June 2008

Fantastic
I've just had chance to read about the second half of your adventure as we were away last week. I have to say that I am in absolute awe of your achievement, what a fantastic adventure and one that I am sure you will relive for many years to come. Well done, the three of you.
14th June 2008

Wahey!
Well done, a truly impressive achievement. Next time you'll have to do an Ian Botham and do it without the bikes...

Tot: 0.319s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0728s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb