Day 14 - Bonar Bridge - Tongue


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland
June 6th 2008
Published: June 11th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


As with a lot of the rest of Scotland, we rode along one long road for most of the day. An A-road in name only, the A836 from Loch Shin, via Loch Loyal to Tongue, is a single track barely used by anyone. This made for very pleasant cycling, across undulating moorland, past conifer plantations, eerily-quiet lochs and towards the imposing peaks of Ben Hope and Ben Loyal.

We could have headed directly to John O'Groats, but the lure of more British hinterland proved too great.

Such was our pace (average 15.1m/h), we completed the day's ride by lunchtime. We spent the afternoon in Tongue, a very pretty place, but not somewhere you'd describe as lively. Rolfe and Ben went exploring, cycling across the causeway, up the headland, in search of good views. Unfortunately a sea mist rolled in and good views were there few. They did find an abandoned house though.

50 miles. The shortest day. The silliest place name. One day to go!


Additional photos below
Photos: 2, Displayed: 2


Advertisement

Ben HopeBen Hope
Ben Hope

I hope, but possibly Ben Loyal


11th June 2008

All named after Ben...
Ben - must feel great knowing all the mountains are named after you? You thought it was the silliest place name - did your route not take in Bettyhill? (Andy assures me this is a real place on the north coast of Scotland...)

Tot: 0.17s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 10; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0579s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb