Braveheart Country


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland
October 16th 2005
Published: October 16th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Braveheart Country


Marcus finished at WISC in Oxford on 7th October and made that 'interesting' train journey one last time (for now!) to Glasgow. The happy couple were reunited and Fiona, as usual, had the week's itinerary prepared.

On the Monday we headed off to Sallachy near Kyle of Lochalsh. Fiona's father's cousin, Angus, has a house up there and he and his wife, Joyce, have been inviting us to visit for a long time. We were not disappointed. This is true Braveheart country! Castles, lochs, glens and of course mist and rain. But it is beautiful. We spent three days relaxing, taking in the amazing views and being entertained by Angus' stories and enjoying Joyce's cooking. We visited Plockton (home of Hamish MacBeth and where some shots from Highlander were filmed) and even managed it "over the bridge to Skye" and back again! Perfect honeymooning country. Thank you Joyce and Angus! We will stay longer next time.

Yesterday was Fiona's Dad's birthday and we had a special treat prepared. A 4x4 driving experience. It was only a Christmas present from two years ago that he has never got round to using yet! He wasn't going to put it off any longer with us around! We started to have second thoughts though when he got behind the wheel of this beast of a land rover. But it was too late, he was off and the three of us (Fiona's Mum, Marcus and Fiona) were left to literally hold on as he tore over the hill and through the mud ponds of the specially constructed course at the Scottish 4x4 Driving Centre in Fife. Our instructor, Derek, was suprisingly calm and assured us that we were all capable. After some persuasion Fiona took the driving seat and eventually Marcus then Mum. This was Marcus' first experience of driving in the U.K and will probably be his last ... for more than one reason!

We finished off the day by popping over to St. Andrews and revisiting our favourite (and not so favourite!) places again. The West Sands was still as beautiful and the Albany Park beach huts still as ... well, still there lets just say! We had a fish supper in the famous Anstruther fish and chip shop and drove back to Renfrew. As we left St. Andrews a mist was coming down on the town and we wondered if maybe we had only imagined this ivory tower town. The mists of time were enshrouding it once again for another hundred years until some other American would stumble upon it and find his beautiful Scottish maiden ... sounds like another story I know from somewhere ...?!

Well, this American is taking his Scottish maiden back with him ... and we start tomorrow on the five month journey ...

Advertisement



20th October 2005

Birthday
Happy Birthday Marcus. Hope you have a good one.

Tot: 0.255s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0444s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb