DAY 18 CAIRNGORM


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland
June 2nd 2023
Published: June 2nd 2023
Edit Blog Post


Base Station pose at funicular boarding, Cairngorm.
The crunch of boot upon a gravel and stone track was all that could be heard when we had left the funicular to climb to the summit of the Cairngorm, the UK’s 6thhighest mountain at 1 245m in the National Park of the same name. Considering this is the windiest, coldest and wettest place in the UK, it was surprising that all we could hear was the boot crunch. The day was glorious. We had come prepared for mountain cold.

The ascent from the 900m level was not strenuous (superbly fit!!) however, the descent needed care. The weather station at the summit sends out minute by minute data to the mountain weather site on the internet.


Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



Taking in the sun's warmth while waiting to board the funicular.


Funicular returning.


Wild Mountain Garden plants. Volunteers and environmental scientists have and are continually planting. Due to the climate, particularly the wind, the plants are are all low, ground hugging. Areas take 7 or more years to 'come good', hence the guided walks. Walkers must keep to the tracks.


The UK'S highest telephone box ... with telephone.


Allen, our ranger/guide, pointing out our aim and route. Top bloke ... made it the more enjoyable.


View from within the funicular, going up.


Still going up.


The second funicular passes going down.


Inside the 200m tunnel before exiting the funicular.


One of, if not, the oldest and hardiest plant in the Cairngorms at over 60 million years old.


"How good is this?", says Jane.


The weather station and summit rocks as we approach.


Beside the weather station.


Summit.


Jane taking in the view from the summit.


Yes, we both did it.



Descending




Note the white notification ... 'world porridge championships' ...


Tot: 0.193s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0919s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb