Bike Ride Scotland


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland
April 21st 2023
Published: April 21st 2023
Edit Blog Post

A tourism day
By sheer chance yesterday we met with an elderly gentleman, born and raised in Skye. A medical doctor who has traveled the world for the UN. Knowing the island and Scotland very well he gave us some advise on where to go and where not to go bearing in mind that we are on bikes. First advice: don’t go to Dumvegan castle on bike because getting there is complicated and very tiresome. If you want to see it, look for another way of transportation, which we did, taking a taxi. Second advice: forget about going all the way up north. Nothing worthwhile to see but peat grounds and few places to sleep and eat. Third advice: if you really want to see a beautiful part of Skye let me draw you a small square close by where you slept last night. A square of about 30 km and really it was worth making the effort, An effort it was, steep going ups and coming downs. I will post some pictures of that part of the trip.
We already booked a hotel for tonight so we could better plan our visit to Dumvegan Castle. The castle, at least the mian part, was built about 800 years ago by the most powerful clan of Scotland: the McLeod clan. As I understand it the McLeod are descendants of the early vikings settling in these islands. It would certainly explain the predominantly name of Norman through the ages.
Not necessary the most beautiful castle I have ever seen, but a castle is still used by the 27th Chief of the Clan. Not full time mind you, but on a regular basis. As such the castle remains livable. Many portraits on the wall walks you though the history of the clan.
From our cap driver we learned that we may encounter some nasty weather as of Sunday; colder temperatures and rain, and possibly some snow. Wind against us again…
I hope that the man exaggerated somewhat, but we will see.
After in all biking a short, but difficult 45km, we have now landed in nice hotel in Broadford. If you want to see the name in Gaelic see the photo. in Gaelic


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.176s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0618s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb