The Battlefield (by Bella)


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland » The Highlands
November 4th 2011
Published: November 6th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Oliver with SwordOliver with SwordOliver with Sword

By chance we stumble into a demonstration/explaination of some of the wepons used. Kids got to handle the guns and swords.
The battlefield was really fun. They gave mum and dad a G.P.S. (this gave us info around the battle field site) but it was an adult one. Hamish, Jo, Zara, Oiver, and me got a kids one and it told us lots about the battlefield. I was the one that got there first then Zara then Jo and then my mum had to go back and help dad because dads one was telling him that he was some were else. That crazy thing.

When I was finished there was a hill and I rolled down it. It was so fun then when I did it again I did a backward rolly polly and I hurt my neck (but it is OK now). We learnt a lot of new things. Did you know that the Jacobites started the battle against the Government forces to try and catch them by surprise?

We got to hold a sword and shield used by the highlanders. They were heavy. They showed us how the soldiers used them including the tricky methods the highlanders used to battle. Highland kids were 12 years old when they were taught to fight. They also carry a small knife behind the shied to use in battles. This knife was always carried by the highland men and if you promise something and kiss the top it is an unbreakable promise. You cannot stab someone with the big sword (broadsword) as it might get stuck in the person. The Government soldiers had big muscat guns and they were really heavy. They had to be able to load and shoot the gun in 20 seconds or they would be whipped by their leader.

We are now in Inverness and going to Stirling tomorrow. We are having lots of fun in Scotland. The cows are so cute.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.225s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.051s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb