What a Difference a Minute Makes


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland » The Highlands » Rannoch Moor
January 17th 2020
Published: January 19th 2020
Edit Blog Post

GlencoeGlencoeGlencoe

Glencoe and a lone house during sunset.
At first it was the difference that a day makes. After three days of rain, rain, snow and more rain, some sky had actually replaced the ever present white sheet. That said, there was still a lot of rain, but the weather was literally changing by the minute. Rain, followed by some light breaking through a gap in the clouds, followed by some snow, followed by some more rain, followed by some full blown sunshine and than back to rain again.

We stopped in Loch Ba again for the sunrise. The sunrise was not worth it, but there was a short moment when the light fell on the mountains in the opposite direction to the supposed sunrise, which made some good photographs. Some of us caught it, some of us did not sadly. Fortunately, I did.

Not back in time for breakfast so we went back to the Kings House Hotel for some tea and scones, and some time to warm up again. Very civilized.

The hotel is in a very scenic location, which we didn’t really appreciate last time we were here. This time however it was worth some time to get some photographs over the nearby
Scones and TeaScones and TeaScones and Tea

A very civilised way to warm-up.
River Etrive and some of the nearby mountains. Those tame deer were also still there, although the stag that had head-butted me the other day seemed to have injured its leg, poor thing.

Since it was on the way, we went back to Blackrock Cottage for some more photographs. Again, what a difference. All the snow had been washed away by the rain and it looked completely different. It definitely looked better in the snow however.

There was also a nearby stream that was worth some photographs and the walk between the two definitely helped to warm by feet up, cold feet being the inevitable consequence of standing in a few inches of cold water whilst messing about taking photographs.

There was a little bit of repetition today as we also went back to the previously visited Coupall Falls, but it was also worth it given the completely different conditions.

On the way back the sky cleared and there was actually a sunset. It was a case of stopping immediately or it would be gone. We stopped and everyone piled out as quickly as we could. Across the valley there was a small, lone house, literally
River EtriveRiver EtriveRiver Etrive

The river around the back of the Kings House Hotel.
in the middle of no where, which made some interesting photographs given its remoteness on the side of a mountain.

We had a final quick stop at the Coe Falls on the way back to the hotel, but the rain had started-up again.

There are certainly a lot of waterfalls in Rannoch Moor, no doubt increased by all the rainfall we have been having.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Tame DeerTame Deer
Tame Deer

Back again, although the poor deer had hurt his leg.


Tot: 0.144s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 23; dbt: 0.1144s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb