Floored


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland » Perthshire » Aberfeldy
March 26th 2009
Published: March 27th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Bedroom ceilingBedroom ceilingBedroom ceiling

in spalted beech
Briefly, we completed the plasterboard on the upstairs ceilings (in readiness for our intrepid pair of plasterers returning next week). Then Ben returned to the north east to continue with his tree surgery. Ewan and I completed the upstairs flooring and fitted the solar tube. This reflects daylight into the darkest recess of the house, alias the larder and is surprisingly effective. Robert returned to do a bit more of the electrics, other than that it was a pretty quiet week.

The weather has been pretty horrendous, albeit with intermittent spells of sunshine, but inside the house remains quite warm (I slept in the little sloping bedroom as Ben had reclaimed his bed in the farmhouse).

We may have had snow, sleet, gales etc but spring is definitely on the way. On the drive down I was favoured by the occasional burst of sunshine which highlighted the yellow catkins on the hazel and the almost purplish flush of new growth on the birch trees That plus the profusion of daffodils now sprouting up everywhere surely indicates spring to be finally sprung.

Willy says the suntube lats a huge amount of light into the larder, but he didn't take any photos... , so you need to wait till next time.

Meanwhile, back in the big city, the car is now filled with wood for the flooring and two sinks to take back to Tombreck. I've been checking out low energy fridges on www.sust-it.net but as the most highly rated one is double the price of the next on the list, then number two wins.

Ronnie the plumber is due back in a week, so we may even have toilet facilities by Easter.

PS probably spoke too soon re the weather the forecast is for the wind to swing round to the north and hence colder. The joys of a Scottish spring!


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Above the stairwellAbove the stairwell
Above the stairwell

Don't know how many screws we've used but plasterboard screws are by far the worst. They leave tiny bits of metal in the ends of your finger and thumb(like skelfs, or splinters for non Scots speakers).
finished light fittingfinished light fitting
finished light fitting

£24.99 out of homebase,


28th March 2009

spirited
Looking good. Particularly impressed with the spirit level - again a piece of kit my builder knew nothing about! ;o)

Tot: 0.077s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0591s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb