Scotland Day 1 Glasgow to Bonnyrigg.


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland » Midlothian » Penicuik
April 28th 2017
Published: April 28th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Day 1


Scotland 2017 – Magical Land

Day 1

With a smooth 6 hour plane ride we had a graceful landing into sunshine. What? I even got some nice video of the landing itself. Maneuvered thru the airport to collect our rental van and out into the land of unicorns. Okay so here the niceties stop. Google Maps have brutal directions and we will not be using that process again. After a couple of U-turns thru the roundabouts we found the Falkirk Wheel. Unlike the lift locks that are familiar to us, the Wheel moves 2 boats in opposite directions connecting the series of canals. Weather is 13 degrees and sunny with a little bit of clouds.

OK now we are off to try and find the only point on our itinerary that Samantha doesn’t know about. Google Maps #(*^$$(*&%&%%!.. With a lot of luck we found Dalhousie Castle. With an 850 year history back to William the Conqueror the castle is the seat of the Ramsay Clan. The last part to be built was the drum tower in 1450. We made our appointment for the Falconry in the nick of time. We all got to feed (or fly) 2 of the birds of Prey. A Harris Hawk and a Turkmanian Eagle Owl. They were being fed male chicks that were euthanized since the males are not used for their meat or for laying eggs. (news flash to me) Spectacular!!!!! Georgie the handler only feeds them pieces until they are done when they are rewarded a couple of whole chicks. Whole new perspective on a large bird when they are standing on the end of your arm. Sammi wasn’t saying much…

Checked into the hotel and up to see the magnificent rooms. We wanted Sam and Benny to experience the room with the terrace that overlooks the rivers but did not expect for us to get a room in the tower. 20 foot ceilings with Victorian décor.

Next our dinner in the haunted dungeon after drinks & appetizers in the library. Fantastic meal with Foie Gras, Goat Cheese, Smoked Pigeon and mains of Roast Veal, Sea Bass.

Back up to the room to collapse with exhaustion.

PS. Delay caused by power issues in my room.. sorry..


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

Harris HawkHarris Hawk
Harris Hawk

Protecting dinner
HallwayHallway
Hallway

Nope not the hallway to our room. This is the hallway from our bathroom to the bedroom in the tower
ArmourArmour
Armour

Can you see the spoon.


Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 15; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0404s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb