Edinburgh


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland » Midlothian » Edinburgh
May 27th 2006
Published: July 9th 2006
Edit Blog Post

After a year together Liani surprised me with a trip to Edinburgh. We flew up early and stayed in the lovely EQ2 apartments overlooking the regenerated EQ canal basin. Edinburgh is beautiful, much much nicer than old London town, and if I had the opportunity to work there rather than London, I would.
We did the open top bus tour which due to the small size of the city, can be completed within half a day. It was interesting to hear the rather murderous bloody history of Scotland. They were very intolerant of crimes, stealing a loaf of bread would result in a public beheading!
We saw the new Scottish Parliament which has apparently caused quite a stir amongst the more traditional Scots who were unimpressed with the modern design. I liked it but I can understand the people of Edinburgh being concerned that it doesnt fit in with the more traditional city skyline.
The castle sits high on an extinct volcano, overlooking the city with a certain amount of grandour. Birthplace of James VI, son of Mary, Queen of Scots, he became the first Stuart King of England after the Union of the Crowns in 1603.
Sitting below the castle lies the 19th century Warriston cemetery which is incredibly eerie but beautiful. Apparently it has suffered from periods of severe vandalism which has contributed to its overgrown, unkept appearance.
St Giles' Cathedral is the historic City Church of Edinburgh with its famed crown spire on the Royal Mile between Edinburgh Castle and the Palace of Holyroodhouse. It stands overlooking Princes street, the main shopping and commercial strip of the city. Also known as the High Kirk of Edinburgh, it is Presbyterianism's Mother Church and contains the Chapel of the Order of the Thistle (Scotland's chivalric company of knights headed by the Queen).
The Palace of Holyroodhouse is the official residence in Scotland of Her Majesty the Queen and was once home to Mary Queen of Scots. The Palace stands at the end of Edinburgh’s Royal Mile. The Royal apartments are used by the Queen for state ceremonies and official entertaining.
After seeing much of the city sites we went back to our apartment and made a beautiful meal, watched dvd's and enjoyed a peaceful nights sleep away from the sirens and chaos of London.
I really enjoyed Edinburgh, the Scots are lovely and friendly and the scenery is lush and full of life. The pace of the city is slower and people are aware of one another. I think it was the old man who would have been in his eighties that helped us with directions as we were waundering blindly down the street that epitomised the friendliness and warmth of the people of Edinburgh.


Additional photos below
Photos: 24, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



10th July 2006

WASSSS UP
nice blog ho hikey. see you in the crib on essex.

Tot: 0.1s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 24; qc: 115; dbt: 0.069s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb