Traveling to Scotland


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland » Midlothian » Edinburgh
October 1st 2008
Published: October 4th 2008
Edit Blog Post

ReflectionReflectionReflection

On the train heading north, the elderly lady in seat in front of me commented about the passing scenery to her sister. I think she took this train many years ago.
The train ride to Scotland was relaxed. The sun was shining for most of the journey and I took lots of photos. There were times when it felt like the train ride in Harry Potter movies. You know the feeling Harry has when he heads for the Scottish school? The scenery seems to improve the further north you go; the colours get bolder, greens seem greener, blue sky bounces off wider rivers that rush, busy roads give way to empty rolling hills. Fields with vegetables fade out and pasture land with cattle and sheep fit in between farmland with baled hay. Perhaps it was the pre-sunset light from the sky that made the scenery glow?
When I got to Edinburgh it was dark. I stayed with a Servas friend and had a marvelous time in the city. Next day, froze taking bus tour, but got warm in cheerful cafe and pubs. Spent the afternoon in charity shops, one of my favourite things to do when in the U.K. Tried to avoid shopping, but picked up designer scarf, couple of jackets and a much needed umbrella.
Trams are coming to Edinburgh; look out San Francisco. In a year's time there will be
Heading NorthHeading NorthHeading North

Rivers are bigger and bluer.
a quicker way to circle the city core, but for now traffic can be hellish. I spent two days in Edinburgh, then went to the Highlands, then came back for another day in the city.


Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

CowsCows
Cows

More cows can be seen on the slopes.
SheepSheep
Sheep

Lots of varieties of sheep; I saw black ones with white faces.
EdinburghEdinburgh
Edinburgh

The weather cooled down when I was touring the city. The wind was fine in the sun, until you went round a corner and felt its force.
Bus tourBus tour
Bus tour

I decided to take the city bus tour. One of the few who braved the cold winds at top of bus.
BuildingsBuildings
Buildings

Edinburgh is handsome. It is an easy city to live in.
HorseHorse
Horse

Lots of statues in Edinburgh
Adam SmithAdam Smith
Adam Smith

Too many statues of men, one of famous dog, and NONE of women. Somebody has to change that.
WindWind
Wind

Earplugs to listen to taped description of sites. Geeez, I wish I had a warmer coat.
CastleCastle
Castle

The castle is in the centre of Edinburgh, at one end of the Royal Mile.
Pubs and Road WorksPubs and Road Works
Pubs and Road Works

These pubs are infamous because they were near public hanging area. This year the road works are infamous for blocking traffic. A tram system is being built.
Trams are comingTrams are coming
Trams are coming

My advice is to avoid coming to Edinburgh in January. That is when the city will rip up Princess Street to install the trams. Traffic is already a problem. Delay coming until next summer.
Royal MileRoyal Mile
Royal Mile

Edinburgh has the best historical city centre
Royal Mile ShopsRoyal Mile Shops
Royal Mile Shops

Every franchise wants a shop along the Royal Mile. Somehow it all fits into a vibrant 'downtown'.
Train StationTrain Station
Train Station

Even the train station has its place downtown. (very convenient). Yup, I like Edinburgh alot.
Hanging PubHanging Pub
Hanging Pub

The last drop does not refer to the final sip of beer. Another pub tells the story of 'Half-Hanged-Mary'.
Tourist shopsTourist shops
Tourist shops

I resisted the cashmir scarves, woolen jumpers and overwrapped cookies, but I did have to buy the kilt towel before I left. Bet nobody else will have the same thing on the beach next summer!
Writers PubWriters Pub
Writers Pub

I forget which writer wrote in whichever pub.
Government buildingsGovernment buildings
Government buildings

Check out the newly built parliament buildings for Scotland.
GovernmentGovernment
Government

Yes, it REALLY is this building. A spanish architect designed it. Didn't know there was so much tension between those two countries. *smile*
Scone and TeaScone and Tea
Scone and Tea

Before I left Edinburgh, I had to have a scone and tea.


Tot: 0.396s; Tpl: 0.044s; cc: 17; qc: 62; dbt: 0.1064s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb