Royal Scotland


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland » Midlothian » Edinburgh
April 21st 2007
Published: April 21st 2007
Edit Blog Post

Today began with an early breakfast at the bed and breakfast, and then off to the Royal Yacht Britannia for a private tour before they opened their doors to the public. Our guide took us through the usual tour of the Queen's bedroom, the crew quarters, the decks of the ship, the dining room, etc, and we also got to see a few extras along the way. Next stop was the Edinburgh Farmer's Market, which was very nice, just down below the castle, and full of good food. I didn't sample much other than a mutton sausage sandwich, but everything looked and smelled great. They had a lot of food being prepared as well as things to buy and take home with you to prepare yourself. At the market, we were introduced to Caroline, who will be hosting us at her family's farm for a BBQ tomorrow. We got a lot of footage there, and it'll probably be a big part of the Scotland episode. From the market we walked over to the gardens below the castle, which used to be under water (there was once a moat), and got a little bit of flower footage before heading up to Grass Market Street for lunch at The White Hart, where I had my first ever bangers and mash, which was quite good. Edinburgh Castle was our next destination, and it was very interesting. I had loved going to Warwick Castle in England, and had I not been working I think I would have enjoyed Edinburgh Castle in the same way. We spent about 2 hours there, and I would have probably wanted to spend a few more as a tourist. It was very windy the whole time there, which was not good for handheld shots, but that's the way we roll on BBQ America. After the castle we made a brief stop back at the hotel for tea and a short rest, and then went back out for dinner at The Mussel Inn. I had grilled cod, which was very nice, and we shot for about a half hour in the kitchen. It was a mad house in there. We filmed whatever we could, but they didn't give you even a second to move in and get a shot of something being done. No warning, no slowing down, no second chances. It was hot, they were moving really quickly and unexpectedly, and hopefully we got what we need. Went back to the hotel, had a drink, and that was it. (Amended) I nearly forgot. Duh. We ended the evening with a Witchery tour of the city, led by a very amusing guide who was actually also running in a political race or something--I didn't quite get the whole story. We wandered through "closes" (narrow alleys), up and down 300 year old staircases, past pub-crawling Scotsmen and women, and through tunnels as we learned about the plague, the body snatchers, and witches. I shot the whole tour (about 60 minutes) and probably 1 minute or less will be in the show.


Advertisement



22nd April 2007

barbeque america
i thought this was barbeque planet... why are you in scotland for barbeque america?
23rd April 2007

More Sheepies???
I thought you said no more sheep...the next thing you're stuffing mutton sausage down your throat....well at least it wasn't a baby lamb, I guess it's ok to take an old sheep past her prime and turn her into a tasty meal. Don't they serve veal there??? How about some chicken. Any new gossip? I wonder how Sally and Dustin are doing? I love Sally's new show, Brothers and Sisters. One thing that did puzzle me, why would Sally take a plane, She's the flying Nun, Ooh, maybe she wanted the extra time to just sit and talk with Dustin... must be it.
24th April 2007

sassy
lori, you sure are sassy

Tot: 0.092s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 7; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0553s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb