Good Morning Edinburgh


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland » Midlothian » Edinburgh
March 6th 2018
Published: March 6th 2018
Edit Blog Post

Scot with bagpipeScot with bagpipeScot with bagpipe

This fella was playing quite nicely at the beginning of our tour.
We believe we mentioned yesterday that there was snow on the ground in Scotland. Well this morning it's snowing cats and dogs! My god, what have we done. To digress a bit yesterday we were a bit sleepy (okay a lot) so after locating an electrical adaptor and having a very late lunch we returned to our wonderful apartment for the night. BTW for lunch HP had Bangers and Mash-very good, while Bird was equally complimentary of her Haggis, Neeps, and Totties. Of course everything is spelled correctly; how could you ask!

As this is being written we are sitting, praying to the weather god to end the snow, while watching Good Morning Britain. At least it's above freezing so the snow isn't sticking. We are now reduced to one day in Edinburgh with determination not to be shut out. We'll complete this post later.

Back home after a 2-1 game. We did the castle, cathedral and walked a bit before the rain returned. We are going to call this a close win (2-1). While the rain disturbed tourists, to the Scots it appeared irrelevant. They walked about casually without umbrellas making it easy who to select for direction
Edinburgh CastleEdinburgh CastleEdinburgh Castle

Not at all the best vantage point, but your lazy adventurers were not about to trek to the other side. Saw that side briefly on a bus but no picture. This was a working castle as a number of battles were fought with the English here.
inquiries.

If you will indulge us, there is one final digression. We forgot to mention the car rental experience. Walked out to the car where HP was directed by Bird to back the car out of the snow, which he dutifully set himself to accomplish. He hopped into the car then-what a startle-no wheel. Could the Scots have invented a robot car without telling anyone. It then dawned upon the not terrible bright HP to look on the right side of the car where he discovered the wheel. Both driving on the wrong side of the road AND the wrong side of the car proved quite a challenge, but with Bird's assistance, he piloted the car to the apartment and parked it.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

St. Margaret's ChapelSt. Margaret's Chapel
St. Margaret's Chapel

This very small building was constructed in 1120. Rick Steves indicates it is preferred by the bride's parents for weddings as it only holds twenty people. Yes!
Mons MegMons Meg
Mons Meg

This siege cannon was a gift to King James ll. It was capable of lobbing a 330 lb. stone, yes stone as metal cannonballs were too expensive, two miles!
Everyone Loves a DogEveryone Loves a Dog
Everyone Loves a Dog

This is a cemetery for the soldier's dogs. Notice the tombstones in a semi-circle.


6th March 2018

hey from georgia
love, love, love the car story!! Pictures are AWESOME as always.. and it does seem as old man winter is on the journey with you.....continue to have a fun adventurous trip

Tot: 0.338s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 10; qc: 46; dbt: 0.1507s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb