Things that make you go hmmm...


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland » Lanarkshire » Glasgow
September 17th 2006
Published: September 21st 2006
Edit Blog Post

Earlier this week I had to provide remains honors to a fallen soldier at the Knoxville Airport. The flight was delayed so we were taken to the back of the airport to wait in an employee breakroom. We were then escorted directly out to the tarmac to help unload the casket, drape the flag, and show our deepest respects with a slow, reverent salute.

Today while traveling to Scotland I was subject to strict airport security to include removal of my jacket and shoes (it seems like it is just short of strip search these days). I was also among the "lucky" ones chosen for a random bag search prior to getting on the plane in Knoxville. For someone who puts their life on the line to protect the world against terrorism to turn around and be treated like a suspect, I don't know, I seem to find a certain amount of ironic humor in that. They have an important job to do, and I respect that, but it does make you stop and scratch your head, and make you wonder what is wrong with this picture?

After arriving in London, I was told my backpack was too big of a carry-on, even though it would easily fit under the seat. When they say one small handbag in the UK, they are not kidding. I had to go through immigration and stand in several long lines that were worse than the most popular attractions at Disneyland just to check my backpack onto the plane. Thankfully, I wasn't charged for any more excess baggage. I am so glad that I had a four hour layover in London. I needed it.

I tried to call back home from London with an AT&T pre-paid international calling card, but for some reason dialing numbers on the keypad wasn't working, even with operator assistance.

I was met at the airport in Glasgow by Mr. Nicky Souter from the University of Strathclyde. He gave me a brief tour of the Jordanhill Campus and the school where I will be doing my student teaching. Then he took me back to the main campus. I got checked into my dorm room, and went over to register, get my college ID, and most importantly my log-in access for the computer so I could get a message home that I had arrived safely.

I went shopping to pick up a few necessities, sheets, food, etc. There is a cheap dept-like store called T.J. Hughes and a small grocery store nearby. After getting everything unpacked and settled in my room. I didn't sleep much on the plane, so I pretty much crashed for the night around 2100 (that would be 9:00 for those of you not used to military time).



Advertisement



Tot: 0.062s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0422s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb