Celtic Game!!!


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland » Lanarkshire » Glasgow
May 18th 2008
Published: May 19th 2008
Edit Blog Post

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
 Video Playlist:

1: Celtic Highlights 35 secs
2: Celtic Highlights 11 secs
3: Celtic Highlights 20 secs
4: Gruffalo Stalking the Scottish Highlands 13 secs
[youtube=rnbJDEwSrtc]Another two action packed weekends have come to an end. Last weekend we started off the weekend with a BBQ at Wendy and Stuart’s house and finished it off by going to the last home game for the Celtic Football Club. This was an amazing experience. The game was fantastic. The atmosphere was intense and loaded with lots of singing, cheering and crowd involvement. I’ve attached some videos atop the blog page, but be sure to check out the one at the bottom of this entry. This is my favorite; unfortunately it was too large a file to attach the other way. Anyways, the season isn’t quite over yet, but it has been very exciting.

This past week Rangers lost their biggest game in 30 odd years by losing to Zenit St. Petersburg in the UEFA Cup Final. This led to many a disgruntled fan as you may or may not have seen on the news back home. The game took place in Manchester, England. Manchester is about four hours from here. It’s estimated 150,000 plus ticket-less fans traveled down there for the game. With nothing to do all day but party, that’s what they did and then after losing the game proceeded to riot in the streets.

Since that game they've drawn to a mediocre team and now may lose the Scottish Premiere League title as well. I’ve written in the past about the intensity of this Celtic/Ranger rivalry and to put it mildly, it’s on full display currently. The league will finish up on Thursday and a winner will be determined. I am amazed with how much I've grown to love this sport. I’ll be sure to keep you posted.

This weekend was another BBQ at Stuart and Wendy’s house again. We started to address the idea that we are leaving and all got quite depressed. It will be very difficult to say goodbye to them and as a result we have planned activities with them for five of the last six weekends we are here. That way by the time we leave we will all be sick of each other.

Today we headed out for a great hike. We headed out to what is the most famous stretch of military road in Scotland. It was built in the 18th century as part of the government’s plans to subdue the Highlands in the aftermath of the Battle of Culloden. It was a great walk along a wide path through a gorgeous valley with towering mountains on either side. Camille continues to impress us with her fondness for hiking. Today she racked up another 4 and ½ miles of good walking. In one of the videos she demonstrates her impression of the fearsome gruffalo, a legendary monster in these parts.


Be sure to check out the video directly below this sentence. It really shows the atmosphere at the game!


Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement



20th May 2008

The futbol song/chant "walk on" on your last video is sampled in the Pink Floyd Song "Fearless." You should listen to their song cause it's clearly from a futbol game. I wonder if it's from a Celtics match?
22nd May 2008

Come on Rangers!!!!
The song they are singing that includes the lyrics "walk on" is 'You'll Never Walk Alone'. It has been recorded by everyone from Elvis P to Frank Sinatra and was performed by Doris Day in Carousel. It was adopted as a football song by Celtic and Liverpool after Gerry and the Pacemakers recorded it. Pass on my best wishes to Wendy and Stuart! Hope all is well! :)
3rd June 2008

Did you notice the smell Tim?
Hey Tim, you forgot to mention just how bad "the piggery" smells. Most of these folk arent house trained. They stole the song from Liverpool FC who sang it first after a hit by Liverpudlian band Gerry and Pacemakers. Liverpool sing it louder, better and without the accompanying stench.

Tot: 0.061s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 8; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0304s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb