Glasgow


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland » Lanarkshire » Glasgow
July 7th 2022
Published: July 10th 2022
Edit Blog Post

Glasgow is a great small city to spend a few days, but there isn’t much more to write other than a few observations:

- I walked to Kelvingrove Park and happened upon a free concert of traditional Scottish music:


- There are a lot of pubs. The beers and whiskys are nice but the best part is simply having a Scottish bartender. But really any conversation with locals is entertaining, since they’re so friendly and inquisitive.

- We’ve estimated that we understand less than 10% of what Scots are saying when talking to one another. This rises to barely over 50% when they slow it down and avoid idioms when speaking directly to us. This made me feel a little better about misunderstanding basic questions in Eastern Spain after learning Latin American Spanish. We may not understand much but they sure are fun to listen to.

- Glasgow is apparently known for its Indian curries, so we ate more ethnic food than traditional Scottish fare. Lots of places offered vegan haggis, which we did not try.

- At the same time, the city didn’t seem terribly diverse, other than in said restaurants. But we stayed
Glasgow sunbathers Glasgow sunbathers Glasgow sunbathers

Kelvingrove park sunbathers. It was 55 degrees, cloudy and windy.
in the city center and didn’t explore the ‘burbs.

- Glasgow is also known for its nightlife but during the week it really shut down early (minus the pubs), even though sunset wasn’t till 10:30. But they were also preparing for a big festival with impressive headliners.

There are a few more photos below.





Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Glasgow Cathedral Glasgow Cathedral
Glasgow Cathedral

David Livingstone’s statue is in the foreground.
Statue and birdStatue and bird
Statue and bird

Maybe he wouldn’t have wanted that statue of himself….


13th July 2022

Glasgow airport
I remember I had trouble with the traffic circle near the airport and trying to return the rental car. I circled three times before I found the right lane.

Tot: 0.301s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 19; qc: 70; dbt: 0.1295s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb