Northern Skye


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland » Inverness-shire » Isle of Skye
October 16th 2010
Published: October 21st 2010
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

northern Skye


Our journey today takes us around the loop of north Isle of Skye.
A few things impact us as we drive around. First lots of sheep, everwhere. Second, clear cutting forestry. Makes for easier tree removal but for horrible scenery. It does however allow for a clearer view of the mountains.
Made a quick visit to THE jewellry shop on the island which is the home of Skye Silver. Purchases were made.... nuff said.
For a change the skies were clear. Whether these creatures were always there and just hidden in the shrouds of mist or the Tourism deperatment of Scotland brought them out for the tourists doesn't matter, i tried to stop and see all of them.
We started to play a game I called springing sheep. The roads are narrow enough that you can drive up beside the sheep, roll down the window and #1 try to touch them then #2 if you do it right they will jump straight into the air.
We could have kept score but were laughing too hard.
BBC Scotland news report..... (play this in your mind with your best scottish accent) "Residents in Invergarry are advised to keep a close watch on their small pets. It seems that Mrs. Smithson has reported that her terrier was attacked by an Eagle Owl. The small dog put up a tremendous defence and managed to fend off the attack suffering only a large gash on it's back"
An Eagle Owl is the equivalent of our Great Horned Owl only slightly larger. It can have a wingspan of up to 79"!!!! What? I think the Dash 7 is that big.
After viewing some seals and just before we toured the resting place of Flora Macdonald, we came across a herd of sea eagles and some white tailed eagles.
OK, Flora MacDonald (no, not that Flora). She is credited with helping Bonnie Prince Charlie escape from "The Butcher Cumberland" after the loss of the Jacobites at Culloden. Flora Managed to Smuggle Charlie on borad a ship having dressed Charlie up as a woman. After a difficult life (it reads like a Diana Gabaldon story) she returned to Skye where she lived out her life. When she died she was wrapped in the same bed sheet that Charlie had slept on. Years after her death the marble monument had to be replaced. So many people had taken pieces of the slab that there was nothing left.

Back to the country lodge for another great meal and then... 😞 back to Edinburgh tomorrow.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



Tot: 0.157s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 10; qc: 32; dbt: 0.0975s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb