Elgol - Talisker


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland » Inverness-shire » Isle of Skye
October 15th 2010
Published: October 20th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Elgol - Ullinish


Eilean Donan CastleEilean Donan CastleEilean Donan Castle

Most photographed castle in UK. Used in a lot of movies, Rob Roy & Elizabeth (golden Age)
First i must apologise that we have not kept up to date with our travelblog installment.. due to circumstances beyond our control - mainly... no internet service in the north of the Isle of Skye... go figure...
Left the Glengarry Hotel and drove to Isle of Skye, stopping at Eilean Donan Castle for pictures and a visit to the gift shoppe.
Crossed over the causeway bridge on to Skye.
Our adventure takes us to Elgol where I was trying to take a Kodiak ride to see wildlife. Bad news… due to the weather the tour has been cancelled. Good news… we found a tea shop run by an aging hippie. He was really happy that we ordered a machiatto (he could disply his skills with the espresso machine) and had some cheese and garlic scones.
These roads here are really narrow and STEEP!!!
Back out to the main road. Sounds easy enough… it is a short distance but a long drive.
We see a sign post up ahead… Talisker… do you think???? Could it be???
Today’s distillery letter is “T” and “T” stands for Talisker.
The tasting was…… well it was a 10 yr old that was VERY peaty….. not so
Glen ShielGlen ShielGlen Shiel

Famous Jacobite battle grounds
much for me. At least now I really know what a “peaty” scotch tastes like.
Lunch was at The Old Inn which was voted “probably the best pub in Carbost”
Local hot smoked salmon. mmmmmm
Last leg to the country lodge. 5:00 sun going down…. Small roads, crusty old codger gas station attendant and then we see the beacon!!! Ahhhhhh… Ullinish Country Lodge. Tea and shortbread cookies greet us in the lounge by the coal fire. (hot tea by a fireplace… most of you can see that there is going to be a problem) even so the tea was so good Elke had 2 cups.
From the instant we set foot in the place they were taking great care of us. 7:00 drinks in the lounge, 7:30 canapes (wow!) 8:30 dinner.. all courses were amazing (3 rosettes for the last 5 years for culinary excellence)

Tomorrow - the northern part of Skye & Portree




Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Road signRoad sign
Road sign

Some signs are just too ironic to pass up
ElgolElgol
Elgol

Yep the entire town. Roads are fun!
UllinishUllinish
Ullinish

We were on a wee walk after checking in. Wee walk! who are we kidding - 45 minute hike...
Little dipperLittle dipper
Little dipper

Enlarge picture to see the little dipper. right hand side


Tot: 0.143s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 61; dbt: 0.0865s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb