Bonnie Prince Charlie


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland » Inverness-shire » Fort William
August 28th 2006
Published: October 25th 2006
Edit Blog Post

So this is kind-of weird, but I've been looking forward to coming to Fort William ever since I heard about the secret painting of Bonnie Prince Charlie that's held at the Fort William museum.

For those not up on their Scottish history (and feel free to skip over this if you totally don't care), Prince Charlie was the grandson of King James I/II, the rightful heir of the Scottish and British throne, who was banished to France after William of Orange came and 'stole' his crown. Years later, Prince Charlie came back to Scotland to try and win back the throne for his grandfather, and clans all over Scotland joined him and were known as The Jacobites.

Interestingly, the Jacobites actually did manage to fight their way past the English army and win back Scotland. Unfortunately, Prince Charlie was probably a little bit greedy, and decided that in actual fact, King James was supposed to be King not only of Scotland but of England as well, and so decided to push on and try and capture England too. Amazingly, this plan almost succeeded. They managed to make their way almost right into the heart of London - the current King of England was just days away from fleeing completely and leaving the crown for the taking. Unfortunately, it was heading into winter and the Jacobites were cold and hungry and completely exhausted, so there was nothing left to do but turn back into Scotland, rest for the winter and try again the following year. Upon hearing this, the English King regained strength, sent his men to follow the Jacobites into Scotland, and there on Culloden battlefield, annhialated the Jacobite army. After this, they imposed strict anti-Jacobite rules - anti-Scottish rules actually - forbade the wearing of kilts, or bagpipe music or anything even vaguely Scottish. It pretty much spelled the end of the clan system forever. Images of Prince Charlie were also obviously forbidden, as leader of the Jacobite army. Prince Charlie, incidentally, managed to escape back to France by dressing up as a maid, and on the ship was actually hit on by the random sailors, hence 'Bonnie Prince Charlie'. An interesting way for a future King to finish, I guess.

Anyway, so even though all things Scottish and Jacobite were forbidden, the people of Scotland did manage to resist even if just a little. This 'secret
MallaigMallaigMallaig

no need to go on a seal cruise in Mallaig, apparently the seals come to you
painting' actually appears as just a smudge of paint when when you look at it, but when reflected in any concave object like a glass or bowl, shows the portrait of Prince Charlie. It was actually totally cool - smaller than I had thought it would be, but so ingenious! Love it.

Also managed to fit in a train trip on the Great Scotland Highway today, more amazing views throughout the Scottish highlands. I know I've seen a lot of similar scenery throughout Scotland, but I still can't get enough of it. This train ride is supposedly one of the greatest train journeys in the world, and yep, it's pretty damn good. You're supposed to do the journey on The Jacobite, now also known as the Harry Potter train, but hey, why waste £40 when you can do it for £10 on the ordinary Scotrail trains instead? Hey, I'm asian, we're supposed to be cheap!


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Glenfinnian ViaductGlenfinnian Viaduct
Glenfinnian Viaduct

Great Western highway


Tot: 0.096s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 14; qc: 58; dbt: 0.0485s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb