DAY 7 - The Jacobite Steam Train


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland » Inverness-shire » Fort William
October 23rd 2014
Published: October 23rd 2014
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

The Jacobite route


First ClassFirst ClassFirst Class

Inside look at Car A
Another day of, as the locals say.... "Shyte weather" but nonetheless we braved the rain & wind for a trip back in time.

Elke had surprised me with first class tickets in the 1st car. Nice big wing back chairs with a view to allow the world to glide by.

As is usual for the train system here we left at exactly 10:15. Very shortly the sweets trolley appeared which supplied tea & coffee with shortbreads.

Occasionally the rain would let up and allowed us the chance for some pictures.

A quick stop at Glenfinnan to stretch our legs where there is a diner and a small railway museum.

We have been to Glenfinnan before thankfully because it was a long walk to the monument to celebrate the landing of Bonnie Prince Charlie and his attempt to recover the throne. It didnae go so well....

Back aboard the train we continued on to Mallaig fo a stop over of 2 hours. Wandering about in a harbour with rain and wind... was just marvelous.

I did notice a pair of trucks off loading live fish onto a boat. What's wrong with this picture????

We
13B & 13 F13B & 13 F13B & 13 F

Our Seats
had lunch at where else the Mallaig fish shop for... wait for it...fish & chips!!!! WOW was the fish ever fresh!!!

A quick look around town and back on the train.

The sweets trolley came by again with tea and fudge and sadly no Bartie's Botts All Flavoured Jelly Beans. I was really looking forward to the Ear Wax ones....

Beside the seats is a large window with a smaller one that opens above it. In order to get pictures I would open the smaller one and put the camera outside as far as I would dare. 2 down sides to this are obviously the rain and the other is the coal smoke and cinders.

At first this is a novelty but after a few tunnels it became a little overpowering.

We find ourselves back at Fort William and looking forward to a nice seafood dinner at The Crannog.


Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement

Jacobite on ViaductJacobite on Viaduct
Jacobite on Viaduct

Maybe you recognize this bridge. If not ask a Harry Potter fan if they do.
BerriesBerries
Berries

Found on the outlook at Glenfinnan
Engineer & Coal ManEngineer & Coal Man
Engineer & Coal Man

To the left of the Coal Man's shoulder is a funnel for adding sand which is injected by steam onto the wheels when the train is climbing.
Window CleanerWindow Cleaner
Window Cleaner

I thought that wiping the water off the outside of the window. BAD IDEA. The entire car is covered in coal dust.
CindersCinders
Cinders

Coal dust cinders that fly in the open windows.


24th October 2014

Och, I love reading this blog every morning when I get into work, ye ken. Keep it up. Great pictures Don !! Dinna fash, there's a few more days yet. Have fun.

Tot: 0.164s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 66; dbt: 0.0976s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb