Last day landlocked


Advertisement
Published: August 11th 2009
Edit Blog Post

At eight a clock on the 8th of july we went down "Neptuns staircase", it's a row of eight locks.

When we arrived at the harbor at the bottom of the locks, Jørgen and Arne changed the engine oil. After that we longed for some food since we hadn't even eaten breakfast yet. We tok a bus towards the town centrum, and as we sat looking out of the bus window we suddenly saw something that looked like a destillery and jumped off. We hoped it was ben nevis, but it wasn´t, may have been an old distillery, but now a guesthouse. We had some breakfast at a cafeteria close by, and while sitting there looking up at the Ben nevis Mountain, Olav were on top of it, sending us a text-message wondering if we could see him.

After eating we walked to the actual Ben nevis distillery, and Arne went to see the town center, we met up again later. The Ben nevis destillery were not as nice as the others we had been to. It was in fact very dirty and the paint was falling off, that was just one of the reasons why I didn't fancy it... When we arrived we were met by a unhappy guy behind the ticket counter that clearly didn´t like it there, the movie that we first saw as an introduction looked like it was made by the local school drama class and in the middle of the movie I wished i just could turn it off. The tour felt like a military practice, the woman leading it, spitting out the facts, and ending each sentence with "OK?". When we got our whisky taste we weren't allow to taste the single malt, only the blend. But it was the single malt we considered buying, and of course we wanted to taste it first, so left without a bottle. The best thing about Ben Nevis was that they had cows outside! Real scotch highland cows with big horns and long fur!

After meeting up again with Arne and walking around the town, we tok a bus to a stop, were the helpful bus driver explained how we could walk back to our boat. In Scotland we only met really nice bus drivers, and that does not happen that often to me in Norway.

We ate dinner in the boat, and Arne packet his bag, ready to leave early the next morning. Jørgen and I were going down the lock at eight, this was the final lock in the canal.
The next morning on our way in to the lock, we again had to make way for another german in full spead from behind desperate to get into the lock. We were out to sea again, and set sail, with salt water under the hull, at last.



Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.304s; Tpl: 0.04s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0533s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb