Fort William and the Isle of Skye


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland » Inverness-shire » Fort William
September 13th 2005
Published: December 17th 2005
Edit Blog Post

After Edinburgh we made our way to the Isle of Skye and stopped over in Fort William for the night. Went to a pub and let Greg legally sample the poison. There was a band comprised of two guitar players, one looking just like my 8th grade history teacher, and one with a beard he could tuck into his belt (I'm not exagerating!) They were good but Grandpa was disappointed that they played more Irish music more than Scottish. They sang a song about Cobh (a town between Cork and the coast) and it made me sad. We stayed in the dingiest, creepiest standing structure I have ever encountered. It was gross! The bed sagged so deep in the middle I practically had to tie myself to the side to keep from rolling on down in the middle of the night! But no ghosts came and we survived. : ) Definately never going back there though! Fort William is very pretty, its right on one of the lakes with mountains everywhere and its below the highlands.
The next morning we drove to the Isle of Skye and stopped over in the mountains. It was one of the most beautiful places I visited in the two months that I traveled. The highlands really do have purple heather growing everywhere and fog covers the tops of the peaks. No picture I took could do it justice. It was very peaceful and majestic. Nonetheless we had a great time driving up there, the farther up we got, however, the more it started to rain. UG tried to take us to a place with a very high bridge in a valley (ok they also filmed part of Harry Potter there also...I was trying to make it sound grown up) but it was so flooded there was no way our car could get through. We saw a car with water up to the windows in the parking lot of the visitors center. We thought we'd pass on that... So we turned around and went the other way which had a lot of rain as well but it was higher ground so no floods. The cool thing about tons of rain on mountains is waterfalls! We stopped and admired so many of them. They were everywhere and so cool! Within an hour there was so much water a lot of these falls had water shooting out horizontally.
UG in the highlandsUG in the highlandsUG in the highlands

you can kinda see the heather behind him
It was turning into quite a storm. We got up to the island and stopped for greasy fish and chips at a favorite chipper of UG's. Very cute village out on the water. Too bad it was raining so hard. We went to a B & B in an old lady's home out in a remote valley on the west coast of the island and bunkered out the storm.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.274s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 66; dbt: 0.0556s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb