inverkip to Tobermory


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland » Argyll
May 19th 2012
Published: May 19th 2012
Edit Blog Post

13th May.
We drove our campervan up to Inverkip, a good journey but as we got closer to Scotland it became more and more overcast, and the final hour of the journey was in heavy rain. In fact it was raining so much we could not carry everything down to the boat! The boat was fine, and we were grateful to Katrina and Colin who had been keeping an eye on it. The wind roared up to 50 knots, the boat strained against its'ropes and we decided to dress up warmly and go to the chartroom restaurant. A very good meal, but we were back on the boat by 8.30pm, in spite of the rain, still very bright outside, it is light so late, and so early. Next day we saw Katrina and Colin, did a bit of shopping at Largs and unpacked the rest of the van. Then organising the boat ready for leaving.We left on the 15th May, the wind was coming down the loch, or Clyde estuary. Soon we were sailing at 5.7 k in 9 k of wind. but by 11 qm the wind was again against us as we sailed up the Kyles of Bute, past Tarbert, and up to Crinan. Just as we approached Ardraishaig the wind began to blow really strongly., Alan sent me on deck to sort out fenders and ropes and the water was landing on my head, no big sea of course but not very nice at all. The wind was blowing 35k and I was not happy on deck, but as we approached the lock entrance the squall went through and the wind dropped. Our first lock was very easy and smooth, mainly due to the excellent lock keeper who was very calm, and even liked the dog. The £158 we had to pay to transit the canal seemed a lot, but as we saw the amount of maintenance it requires and how well run it is, we did not grudge them a penny.Warren and Jill came round with new puppy Nell, what a pretty little dog. We spent the night in the Basin at Ardraishag. A very difficult name. Crinnan Canal We had an excellent crew. Hilary joined us in the morning and later her friend Peter. He was a great help as well. We were doing really well, pushing the locks open, and walking up to the next lock., Then we were all on the boat ready to be dropped off at the pontoon below lock 5 when ALan went to put the boat in astern, to slow down before the shut lock gate and horror of horrors, nothing happened!!! He ran down below to the engine room and pushed the boat into reverse at the back of the engine. The cable had snapped but he had told me to take the wheel so I was gently going towards the bank which I though would be less of a crunch, but we slowly slid to a halt. What a relief. A very kind workboat, rib was behind us, and they towed us back to a pontoon. Alan rang the local Crinnan boatyard and within an hour and a half the old cable was out and a new one fitted! We carried on to lock 9 where we tied up for the night. It was stunning, a small loch and woodland. We all had a few drinks and Hilary and her friend Euan got her car. Then to the cairbarn hotel for dinner, very good food. We were pleased to see a big rod deer on the canal tow path. A lovely end to an exhausting day. 16th MayWe started from lock 9 downhill now, It was pouring rain and cold, but we had a walk through the very pretty woodland with the dog, until we seemed to lose the path in bogland and trees, we came back to the boat to find the lockeepers ready to start, and that they had opened the lock for us. Hilary and I went ahead opening locks , taking ropes, the lockeepers were very helpful. We negotiated several swinging bridges, finally arriving at the Crinnan basin about lunch time. We went to the coffee shop for lunch before Alan and I and breezy left for Ardfern. A lovely anchorage at Ardfern and a short slow sail up there. We went into the local pub, with dog, where we had a very social convivial time. WE had actually been to Ardfern last year to look at a boat, and thought it was an attractive marina and village. It had been boiling hot that day, it looked a bit different in the rain! But a very nice marina. Home for dinner ,. Then exhausted to bed. 17th MayMotoring from Ardfern between beautiful mountains and green hills, passed through Dorus mor with never a ripple, so calm I did all the housework, my god that boat was in a mess, we had been walking in mud, and chucking stuff everywhere. now nice and tidy again. We passed through corryvrecken, hardly a whirlpool, but interesting to see the way the boat was jawed around by the currents. It would be fearsome on a rough day. A very bleak place. WE approached Mull and went up into loch spelve. Motoring up it became overcast and raining. We had lunch but ashore did not look that hospitable so decided to carry on to Tobermory.We arrived about 18.35 after passing a small castle straight out of harry potter. There are high green swathed slopes sheep, crags and headlands, this makes for very picturesque sailing indeed, the dog was sniffing the wind as we passed, probably smelling the sheep. We tied onto a mooring and settled down with fish and chips from the van on the quay, great dog walk first, along the headland. The sea settled down and a calm night for sleeping.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.112s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0627s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb