Trip to Scotland


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland » Argyll
May 19th 2012
Published: May 19th 2012
Edit Blog Post

It seems to have been a pattern in this trip that the wind is on the nose, so 14knots from the North East seemed quite normal! At first it was fairly moderate, but did become a bit rougher, we carried on topos 54 55 41, 005 33 866 by 11.30 am. It does seem strange to watch those northerly numbers getting larger, for so many years, they always got smaller. Also to be able to get weather forecasts, easily .and almost instantly, to be able to buy things in shops everywhere. and finally to get things done on the boat, in a stress free way.We soon passed Sanda Island, and then Aisla Craig, as we approached the land the sea became calmer, and finally when we got to Campbletown loch the sea was just covered in a network of fine ripples, just enough to see the seals in the water.
We were glad to tie up on a long pontoon, and take our dog ashore for a long seashore walk. We noticed that the very tiny local cinema was showing The exotic Marigold Hotel, and as it is not that long since we came back from India, decided to go and see it.
The lady in the foyer asked us if we would like to sit in the balcony! Tiny little balcony surrounded by soft scottish voices, it felt very different to Northern Ireland, where we spent some time in a giant super store. It was a good film, it felt strange to come out into the still almost light of the evening, crisp cold night, but a warm boat, and happy dog to meet us. We went for some good walks there, and up to the forest above the town. Breezy disgraced herself by chasing someones cat, never a good move to a cat lover.
But finally, arrived in Scotland, a lot of diesel lighter, but quite happy and calm.

Cambletown to Ardrossan. We had read on the internet that Ardrossan was a good place to leave the boat so decided to go along and see. We did think about stopping at Lamlash, a bay in Arran, but when we got there the wind was blowing straight in. We carried on and got to the Marina about 6 pm, they had all gone home, and we were not very sure where to go, so kind of stuck our boat on the end of a pontoon, sticking out a bit, but ok. Jannis , douggie and hilary came round that night ( my cousins,) It was great to see them, and much whiskey was consumed (not by me, I hate the stuff! ) Ardrossan was a bit grim, and not that cheap anyway. We did like the big supermarket though. ( well I did!) We then went on to Great Cumbrae Island the next morning. What a beautiful place. The island has a small town, Millport,very pleasant , strung out along the seafront. Mum told me that she used to come here for her holidays when she was a teenager. The sun was shining and the anchor held well. We soon launched the dinghy and had a walk ashore, very quiet place, with a lot of grass for running and a few very good walks. That evening Katrina and Colin ( my other cousins) came and stayed the night, we had a lovely meal at a bistro style restaurant. The sea was flat calm, not a ripple, there were seals everywhere you looked, but not so close as to disturb the dog , luckily. 21/4/12
Left Millport and soon we were sailing past Largs, the wind was erratic, very changeable and lots of tacking. Soon we were heading up the Kyles of Bute. The mountains were sweeping down to the edge of the water, and now we really began to feel like we were seeing the true beauty of Scotland. We anchored just off one of the Burnt Islands, , and then Scotland showed her true colours, by pouring down rain in sheets, torrents, waterfalls. We stayed on the boat , and had a big roast dinner, watched tv! Next morning, still overcast but no rain. When we woke up in the morning we realised that we were anchored in a very beautiful place. The mountains were swathed in mist, but the colours were lik3 q tapestry. We went in the dinghy and walked the dog ,and in between squalls carried on to anchor off Eilen Buidhe or Beg Eilean a’bhuic, an island near Portavadie. We took the dinghy round the island to the marina of Portavadie, a very remote place with some modern buildings, near the marina are some old disused buildings, it was to be used as a site w here concrete oil platforms were to be sited, but when this plan collapsed in the 1970s the new village of Pophail became derelict, and is still there today, unused.
By the marina was a walk which led you through a beautiful moss covered wood, all rushing burns and uprooted trees, loads of wild flowers all around and soft moss covered tuffets. It really looked like a scene from Lord of the Rings. The dog loved it of course, and we had a good long walk through and around. The air feels very clean, the visibility is sparkling, everything seems very well defined. Tarbert Next day we decided to go over to Tarbert. There is an old castle, dating from Robert The Bruce in the fourteenth century, on a crag overlooking Tarbert, Coming into the harbour there are pontoons laid, and the marina is not too big, but they are laying loads of extra pontoons. The wind was due to blow so we booked in for two nights. Leaving the pontoon we saw a boat we recognised, it was some friends we had not seen since 1986 when we were cruising in Menorca. Then they had a daughter the same age as Bruce (4) so we spent a lot of time together to let the children play. Since we last saw them they have done 2 circumnavigations, and been to such diverse places as the hudson river, Indonesia, and of course US. That boat has done them well. We were so pleased to see them and catch up. We had a lovely few days visiting their home, right out in the country, they lent us their car so we could have a look at the Crinnan Canal.
The walk up above the castle led into forestry land, another stunning walk, with views over the loch, and up to a reservoir. The weather was breezy but fine, so ideal for walking. Lots of eating, drinking and generally enjoying ourselves. Inverkip We had decided to leave the boat in Inverkip. My cousin Katrina lives here, overlooking the marina, and also it is good to get a hire car delivered. We had a good trip back up the Kyles of bute, meeting a friend halfway down to have a chat, in another Hallberg Rassy, they were headed up to the Canal. Soon the boat was tied up at Inverkip Marina, not far from Largs. We had a good time with the family, it was great to see them all, and a family dinner was great. Soon on the motorway heading home. We were up at 4.45 am to drive home, the sun was bright, sea looked perfect By11am we were heading towards Birmingham in the lashing rain and storm force winds! Should have


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.121s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0662s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb