Places related to Movies


Advertisement
Published: November 23rd 2006
Edit Blog Post

Ryan's Daughter VillageRyan's Daughter VillageRyan's Daughter Village

Village from 1970 film Ryan's Daughter in Dingle, Ireland
I find the concept of films influencing where we travel to on holiday and what we do whilst there a fascinating area. I have been to quite a few destinations associated with certain movies eg.

Vienna (Austria): beautifully showcased in Carol Reeds 'The Third Man' (1949)

Matmata (Tunisia): setting for the Planet Tataouine in the Star Wars films (1977 onwards)

Dingle (Ireland): dramatic setting for David Lean's epic movie 'Ryan's Daughter' (1970)

Is anyone else influenced by movies to visit particular places ? or take movie tours etc whilst at destinations ? I've just seen Casino Royale and it definately enticed me to want to visit the Bahamas and Montenegro that both feature in the film. I'm hoping this will become a place to share thoughts and opinions on this really interesting aspect of travel.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Remains of Ryan's Daughter VillageRemains of Ryan's Daughter Village
Remains of Ryan's Daughter Village

All that remains today of the village from the movie Ryan's Daughter. Sadly only part of the cobbled street remains.
Matmata - TunisiaMatmata - Tunisia
Matmata - Tunisia

Matmata in Tunisia where some of the Star Wars movie scenes were shot
ThailandThailand
Thailand

Some of the great scenery where Bond film The Man with the Golden Gun was filmed


28th November 2006

Movies
Hi Peter, > Thanks for your comment, you got my housemate and I > thinking!! Before we went to Kyoto we made sure to > watch Memoirs of a Geisha again (even though its not > actually filmed there!!) and even reenacted parts of > the movie while we were at Fushimi Inari shrine!! > See Marissas blog (TravelQueen- Kyoto with Mum and > Dad) > I am also going to Europe next year and am looking > forward to doing 'The Sound of Music' tour. The > movie Eurotrip certainly showcases some of Europes' > highlights!! > I have also always wanted to do the White Christmas > in America like on Home Alone, with snow and ice > skating and the big Christmas tree and FAO Schwarz. > Great topic, Ill let you know if i think of more!!
28th November 2006

Movies and things
Hey Peter. I think movies play a big role in choosing travel destinations....and not always consciously...sometimes subconsciously, you know when you go away and have that "I feel like I've been here before" feeling. Most of the time if you think back, its usually from a movie you've seen in the past.

Tot: 0.136s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 58; dbt: 0.103s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb