Hiding from the storm


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Northern Ireland » County Antrim » Belfast
September 15th 2013
Published: June 22nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 54.5973, -5.93019

As we were leaving Dublin and sailing up to Belfast, the Captain came over the tannoy system to tell us that there was a huge area of low pressure coming down from Iceland and this heralded a severe gale and force 10 winds. He therefore took the decision to get to Belfast and stay overnight to wait out the storm which meant our trip to Stornoway on the Isle of Lewis was cancelled. It was a shame that we were to miss out the Scottish island as we had never been to it before but being tossed about in gale force winds in order to do it was not an option. The Captain reckoned we would not have been able to moor up there.

So today we are moored up in Belfast and it is overcast and windy. I had previously printed out a new National Trust walk which looked good, so while the rest of the passengers went off for very long tours to Giant's Causeway etc we took a taxi to Minnowburn Car park. From here we walked along the Lagan River ( the main river through Belfast) and then up through woods and fields passing interesting wood sculptures on the way. Eventually it brought us out to the Giant's Ring. This is a very large earthwork barrow obviously several hundred years old and in the middle is a collection of standing stones. Ok not Stonehenge but a landmark on the route. The walk then continues in a circular route back to the Minnowburn car park. A huge short deluge hit us when we were three quarters of the way round so we were drenched by the time we got back to the car park. We were very pleased to see our taxi driver waiting for us at the end of the walk and it was back to the ship –yes you have guessed it – for lunch!

We came second in the trivia quiz yesterday so we are always hopeful that we may come first today. Still haven't won the daily written quiz but again we are more hopeful today. There are some very bright people on this ship and they are mostly slim and fit albeit our own age or older. Our excuse is too much wine which is easy to do. Last night we were the last people in the restaurant as we had such a good table!

Outside the rain has stopped for the moment but the wind is howling past the ship. At least the Abba show which is on tonight must be easier for the dancers while we are still in port.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.35s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0798s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb