Welcome to Whites Tavern - Belfast’s Oldest Pub


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Northern Ireland » County Antrim » Belfast
February 20th 2020
Published: February 20th 2020
Edit Blog Post

Belfast is known for its great food, history, and its historical pubs. But not many pubs in the city are as significant and historic as Whites Tavern, which stakes its claim as the city’s oldest. As a matter of fact, Whites Tavern has been in existence since 1630, which is longer than many pubs, not only in the country, but in the world. Let’s take a closer look at the pub’s history, and where it is today.

A Small History of Irish Pubs



Pubs have been a part of Irish life for years, and play a central role in the communities. They have become so iconic that Irish pubs can be found all around, more specifically in Commonwealth countries such as Canada, Australia, South Africa and New Zealand.

Irish pubs have been in existence for a near millennia, with the first ones being established in the 10th century. Pubs have changed a lot since then, and have gone through different transformation periods. In 1635, all pubs in the country had to be licenced. This is 5 years after Whites Tavern was born in 1630.

The Temperance Movement



One event in particular had a profound effect on the role of pubs, and also differentiated pubs in Northern Ireland from those in the Republic. The temperance movement, which had puritanical undertones, was trying to temper alcohol consumption in the country. The movement gained its momentum in the early 19th century, but had more influence in the Republic.

As a result, pub owners had to diversify their operation to make up for the lack of sales. This is how “spirit grocers” appeared where owners would sell groceries, hardware, or run an annex business. Pubs in the north, however, were not as affected, which allowed many of them to keep their authentic feel.

Whites Tavern’s History



As mentioned, Whites Tavern was established in 1630, making it the oldest recorded pub in Belfast. What separates it from other Belfast pubs is the link between the modern era and history. The building was not only a tavern, but also became a hotel as well as a place where wines and spirits could be sold later on.

The Oyster rooms were born after fishmonger and spirit merchant John Walker set up shop in the Winecellar entry. Fun fact: Did you know that Whites Tavern was one of the first establishments to have a phone back in 1899? The legendary Winecellar entry is also where the Mercury Newspaper was founded back in 1850.

Whites Tavern & Oyster room has now been refurbished and is home to some of the best pub food you’ll find anywhere on the planet. The Clover Group has added the establishment to their portfolio, and is dedicated to keeping the historic charm that made Whites Tavern what it is today.



Now that you know a bit more about Whites Tavern and Belfast’s history, why not mark it as a destination for your next trip? This is the perfect place whether you want to get a taste of old Belfast, or simply have a cheer with some of your good friends.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.387s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0574s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 3; ; mem: 1.1mb