Merryn, Liz and Phil take on Royal Ascot


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England
June 20th 2006
Published: June 24th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Well, I did go to the opening day at Royal Ascot 2006.

And most of the Royal family was present, we simply did not travel to or from the track or sit together!

In line with my recent punting form, I did not back a winner all day. However, I did have a fantastic time and the new stand, which they did mention was built to rival Melbourne's "Flemington Park" was fantastic.

Most importantly, "Takeover Target", an Aussie horse won the sprint race. I had backed the Aussie mare, "Glamourpuss" instead. The third Aussie starter was Lee Freedman's "Falkirk" who came in fourth. It was great to be an Aussie on track.

The race card was only 6 races, outrageous! First race at 2:35pm and last at 5:35pm.

Royal Ascot has a straight mile! For the non-punters, that means there is a mile (1600m) where the horses run in a straight line, no turns. In Australia, we have the straight 6 (1200m) at Flemington and Victoria Park but not a straight mile.

The number of top hats and tails was amazing and the women were generally better dressed than at home. No jeans allowed on
The new standThe new standThe new stand

Early in the day before the crowd arrived
track, nor football jerseys etc so needless to say unlike Melbourne Cup day, there were no "fun" outfits.

And unlike at the Flemington Carnival, most patrons went home sober and not staggering. This is polite English society afterall!

I will write more about my London adventures to date and publish my blog for Stuttgart where I spent 4 days before getting to London very soon. Just could not wait to share news of a great day with you.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

The arrival of the Royal FamilyThe arrival of the Royal Family
The arrival of the Royal Family

Her Majesty and Prince Philip were followed by Charles and Camilla, Sophie, and who knows the rest?
Aussies out in Force 1Aussies out in Force 1
Aussies out in Force 1

Takeover Target being led to the winner's stall which is the parade ring (9000 person capacity) behind the grandstand
Aussies out in Force 2Aussies out in Force 2
Aussies out in Force 2

Can't beat the Aussie pie and a cup of Foster's at the track!
The owners and trainersThe owners and trainers
The owners and trainers

This was typical of the fashion on the day. A little more gentrified than Melbourne or Louisville!


25th June 2006

Swish
Very swish sounding Merryn. I hope you got shattered and threw up on a prince's shoes, just to show them how a day at the races is done properly in Oz ...
25th June 2006

Vicariously enjoying your travels
A hot humid night in Cairo with a slow internet connection did not keep me from again vicariously enjoying your travels. I love seeing your sense of adventure and ability to drop into the local cuture - be it the wealthy race horse owners or the Spainish villagers. I am in Egypt to supervise stamping the American high school diplomas and meet with the Ministry of Education officials. I'll be home in Denver in time for the American 4th of July celebration and to think of Joe on his 5th of July birthday. Thank you for sharing your travel journal and pictures with us.
28th June 2006

WONDERFUL
yo Merryn We're just back from a week in Las Vegas, followed by a week in Denver. Great to get your message and photo from London. There's a song in My Fair Lady about the Ascot - never know what it meant until now! It was THE PLACE to determine if Liza had learned enough of the British social graces to "pass" for royalty. I see why.
29th June 2006

Finally in contact!
Hi Merryn, We are thoroughly enjoying reading about your travels and adventures. I am sending this from the farm as we are still not yet connected at home. Thanks for the postcard, Tim is following your travels and asks regularly where is Merryn now! Keep having fun and take care.

Tot: 0.048s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0279s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb