From Fog to White Cloud


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England
June 23rd 2011
Published: June 28th 2011
Edit Blog Post

The weather in London was clear, dry and warm; typical of London in the summer...wait... that was for about ten minutes. OK I'll try again...The weather in London varied through every type of weather nearly every day, from very windy, to rainy, to 'spitting', to the sun breaking through and it feeling warm, to somewhat windy.

Due to the constant variable weather, we spent a lot of time walking through the parks practicing putting on and taking off our jackets. During our walks, we picked up two different types of salami and some sharp (actually, sharpe) cheddar cheese from Harrod's food hall and had a picnic in Hyde Park. We visited a really good cafe in Highgate that served very creative foods like a salad of peaches and butternut squash. We walked distances that Londoners, when we asked them for directions, looked at us and said, "Take a cab!" We had a mid-day pint and lemonade at a mansion owned by the family who were fortunate enough to create Guinness, located in the center of Hamsptead Heath Park.

We also visited both the National History Museum and the Victoria and Albert Museum. The Victoria and Albert Museum has always been on of our favorites. It seems to be the spot where a good deal of the excess 'booty' of the British Empire ended up. "U'mm boss, where should we put these two ancient columns from Greece that we somehow brought here with engravings telling the story of an epic battle?" And of course, the answer is that it is sitting in the back of the Victoria and Albert Museum.
We can also now tell you from experience that going to a musical with three-hundred ten year-old school children wearing matching jackets greatly enhances the dramatic effect of any musical. Even slightly dramatic moments become epic in the wake of the reactions of so many excited and highly sugar and adrenaline burning youngsters. And as such, we would like to personally thank the pupils of St. Catherine's School of Tooting Bec for enhancing our viewing of the show "Wicked".

We went with Katie, Marianne's sister, to the local pub for an after drink, to a Sunday roast at a pub, and to a neighborhood packed with Indian restaurants with hosts that would stop you on the street and try to steer you into their restaurant by offering you this or that, until with great determination you approached the next restaurant, which would then have a host that would do much the same. Thanks to a friend of Katie's, we managed to secure a minor bidding war between the hosts of two neighboring restaurants.



Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



28th June 2011
At a pub near Katie's Work

wow
Those Hart girls are gorgeous! You are ok too Tony;)
29th June 2011

calcutta calzone
Mr. T and Ladye of the House! loved reading your post, even if it included bad weather sponsored by Earl Grey and possible curry induced stomach aches.

Tot: 0.089s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0465s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb