St George's Day


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England
April 23rd 2010
Published: April 23rd 2010
Edit Blog Post

The English Saint apparrently. Lots of white flags with red cross on cars and t shirts around the place and lots of people getting drunk with a reason tonight. Versions of Land of Hope and Glory booming from local pub with more gusto than grace but it is Friday as well, though most nights are pub nights i have noticed. There is a pub litterally on every corner and sometimes in between corners. There are more shops though. Can't believe that you walk from house to train station in 15 minutes and pass 20 shops, 5 laundromats and about 40 places to eat.
While i was at a coffee shop today there was Russian, French, Arabic and about 4 versions of English being spoken by the people on surrounding tables. And the people walking past were as diverse in their dress as in colour and ethnicity. It is such an eye opener to a new tourist like me to see the locals of this city. Some of the older Londoners must have difficulty adjusting to the merging of its past and present, as so much has changed yet so many things are just as they were for generations. The cultural mix is one of the things i will most remember from my time in London, it is brilliant.
And i have had a longer stay because of the volcano and have made good use of it. I went to Wimbledon yesterday and was amazed at how small centre court is. Of course the court is standard size but the surrounds are much smaller than i imagined. Doing the museum tour will make this years tournament more interesting than usual for me.
I also had a very lovely walk with Vanya, and then with Tom, before meeting Renae and Scott for dinner at a pub. It was a great way to spend an evening with lots of good conversation and laughter. They gave me a rousing cheer as i headed off in to the underground to make my way home with instructions to get this one to here, then this one etc. Am sure they thought i would get lost. My concern was being on the underground when the crowds thinned. But they didnt. 11pm at night was like peak hour. I am so country!
I fly to Samos tomorrow night, arriving Sunday morning for approximately a week of warm weather and a change of scenery.

Advertisement



26th April 2010

Hey Leonie!!
Sounds like you are having a great time - good on you!! Enjoy every minute - hope by now you are enjoying some warmth and soaking up the sunshine in Samos. Becoming a little cooler over here, especially in our beautiful southwest!!!! Looking forward to seeing all your pics (when you call in on your way through to MR or when I am in Perth from 19-25 May!!!!!) Take care Leonie, see you soon hopefully, love, Neet x
28th April 2010

WE HOPE YOU ARE SO BUSY HAVING GOOD TIME THAT YOU HAVENT PUT THE LATEST GOOD NEWS UP FOR US TO ENJOY . guess we will just have to check again tomorrow for your galavanting love joe senka

Tot: 0.242s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0361s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb