Nectarine


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England
October 13th 2005
Published: December 31st 2005
Edit Blog Post

He was born a piece of fruit. This existence is one not regarded in high esteem as, for example, the life of a gazelle, or a rare lily. He was cold. He was always cold now. There was a time in his life when he was warm, but that was long ago. The one advantageous thing about being born a piece of fruit is that capacity for thought, awareness, and emotion is extremely limited. In fact, so limited was his neural capacity that it is doubtful that this piece of fruit knew that he was cold. It is also unlikely that he knew that he was a he, or that he knew he was a piece of fruit.

Human beings tend to value a species worth in terms of their capacity for thought. Human beings aren’t particularly attractive as a species; flowers, birds, trees, and certain tropical fish have that distinction. Human beings aren’t particularly strong; gorillas, shark, moose, and bears are far stronger. In fact human beings aren’t particularly big, or fast or graceful; with the exception of capacity for complex thought, human beings are absolutely unspectacular. And so, when estimating worth, human ego kicked in, and fruit fell to the bottom of the heap.

As such death is certain for all fruit. The only thing that a piece of fruit might hope for is to fall off the tree and become a part of the ground before being picked. This is the only way to avoid the unpleasant experience of the human digestive system. Unfortunately, this piece of fruit was picked right before he was ripe, was shipped in cold storage across an ocean to England, purchased by a fruit merchant from a British wholesaler, and sold to a small fruit merchant who peddled his wares at an outdoor market.

If the piece of fruit had been capable of feelings of inadequacy, he might have taken solace in the knowledge that he was a nectarine; the most delicious and sought after fruit in all of England. However, this particular fruit was not capable of feelings (unlike the delicious passion fruit grown in the tropical climbs of South America), and did not know that he was a nectarine. As such this entire paragraph is completely frivolous in nature.

The Nectarine was purchased by an under employed professional who made his home at number 4 Beechwood Grove. The man led a meager existence in a top floor room of a 6 bedroom house. This man spent his days tempting his cellular telephone to ring and writing stories about fruit. The man had a clear advantage over the fruit in terms of thought capacity and opposable thumbs (though this mans thumbs happened to be barely opposable). He was however far less delicious than the fruit, his flesh being quite gamey. This home was never seen by the nectarine for two reasons. First, Nectarines don’t have eyes. Second, the nectarine was eaten prior to the under employed professional’s arrival at Number 4 Beechwood Grove, and ceased to exist.

Advertisement



14th October 2005

Oh Kris. You have just made my day. Thank you.
9th November 2005

mate you make me laugh
love your work.. keep it up! didn't know you were looking for love? should have told me, i could have help you out! oh well next time! love emmii

Tot: 1.014s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 24; qc: 90; dbt: 0.4899s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb