England at last


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England
May 14th 2018
Published: May 15th 2018
Edit Blog Post

England at last.HWe left Edinburgh behind, with a bit of conflict between the GPS, Map, and notes we'd taken from the computer mileage/directions site. May have wandered a bit - the GPS chip being slightly outdated. But soon we were in amazing countryside - hilly and daley and full of sheep.

After almost 3 hours (considering you can get from Edinburgh to London in about 4 hours on the motorway), we were finally at Haltwhistle and a remnant of Hadrian's Wall (approx 100 AD?) It snaked on and on to the east, essentially from Carlisle on the west to Newcastle on the east coast. Haltwhistle is birthplace of one of David'great grandfathers, so we stopped in the parish church a beautiful historical building, grade I. Then just about 2 miles to a neighboring village and church, St. Cuthberts, just in case the baptism happened there.

Then back to Carlisle and down the motorway for a short way before "ducking in" to the peninsula that holds the "Lake District," full of lakes and fells. We tried to point out Skiddaw, which we walked 5 years ago. It's about 1000' tall.

Checked into dellightful Lodge in Lancaster,and then drove to visit with family friend David has known since infancy - Jane Swan, and her husband Michael. We see each other every few years or so. They showed us the little spare ground they and a block group cleared into a lovely canal-side park a few years go. And then we tucked into a most wonderful dinner of roast leg of lamb, veg, 2 cakes, rhubarb fool! So much laughter. Jane even provided a birthday candle, card, and banner for John's birthday. This evening was just delightful.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



Tot: 0.361s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0296s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb