Taking a Bath


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England
August 29th 2013
Published: October 2nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 51.855, -2.55054

After a very good night's sleep we ventured out from our new digs. We're outside of a small town in the Forest of Dean, west of Glouchester. We really thought we were staying in the Cotswolds, but discovered that area is much farther east of us. It's a wonderful house, parts of which date from medieval times. It has beamed ceilings and our hosts, Charles and Helen, are very nice.

We headed to Bath today, stopping briefly in Bristol to see Bristol's symbol, the Clifton Suspension Bridge. Bristol is on the Severn Estuary, an arm of the Atlantic Ocean. In times past it was an seaport. The bridge spans the Avon Gorge (formed by the Avon River). When it opened in 1864 it was the longest span in the world at 702 feet. Charlie, the civil engineer, really enjoyed reading about and seeing it.

Next, we went over to Bath. (Yes, Marcos, it really is worth seeing). Bath was originally founded in 44 AD as the Roman City of Aquae Sulis on the site of the only hot springs in Britain. The Romans built a huge complex around the spring both for public bathing and offerings to the gods. After the Romans left Britain, the baths fell into disrepair and gradually got covered up.

In the 18th century the Roman baths were rediscovered and were promoted for their supposed curative powers. It became very fashionable to "Take a Bath" and Bath became the place to see and be seen. On the way into town we drove by the 'Royal Crescent," consisting of 33 Georgian style houses with one long facade in a crescent shape. You can see just a part of it in the photo.

Far more interesting, however, is the Roman Baths. A museum surrounds the baths, with many displays and artifacts. Included with the admission price is self-guided audio tour that is done very well.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



4th September 2013

Yay! You made it to Bath! Neat to see those photos. Did you have some water from the pump Room?

Tot: 0.122s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0418s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb