Day Thirteen - Stonehenge


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Wiltshire
January 10th 2012
Published: May 27th 2013
Edit Blog Post

This was our final full day in London and we didn’t really have any definite plans. I was tossing up between Hampton Court or Windsor Castle, but our son really wanted to see Stonehenge, in fact it was his only request for the trip. I didn’t think we had the time (or money!) to visit, but it turned out that we had seen all the things on our main to-do list and had actually spent a lot less than we had planned – mainly due to the 2-4-1 offers.



I really don’t enjoy bus tours with big crowds, so I decided to telephone the private taxi company who did all our transfers and they quoted me £300 pounds for all of us for a ten hour day. While expensive, we much prefer touring this way as we can come and go when we want and stop for coffee, lunch or toilets whenever suits us. We left around 9.30am and were at Stonehenge shortly after 11.00am.



I had been to Stonehenge many times as a child, back in the days that you could scramble all over the stones. It was obviously very different now, but I actually really enjoyed it, particularly the audio tour explaining everything. We spent a lot more time there than we anticipated but enjoyed every minute. We finished up with yet another pub lunch in Amesbury before heading back to London. We were back in London by 4.00pm and we all thoroughly enjoyed the day out.



My husband and I caught the tube up to Hyde Park Corner and went for a long walk down Picadilly, stopping for a look at Fortnum and Mason and drinks at Le Meridien. He had a quick look at Picadilly Circus as he had never seen it, before we walked back to the hotel. We finished the day with dinner at Skylon Grill which was great – really good food and service as well as a nice view over the river.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.037s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0199s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb