Stonehenge, or, So This is It?


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Wiltshire » Stonehenge
August 26th 2005
Published: September 7th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Our Journey Begins...Our Journey Begins...Our Journey Begins...

Bright and early, we start walking.
We woke up early and started on our 8-mile hike to Stonehenge. The hike through English countryside was invigorating. The farm animals we encountered on our way made for unforgettably funny moments. We often had to dredge through pastures of sheep poop. You may not know this, but sheep poop more than any other animal you have ever seen. And, they poop while they are doing other things, like walking, or drinking, or sleeping. British horses were the friendliest lot of animals I have seen. They would all come up to the fence and let us pet them. Jane had a special way with the horses, and many of the horses we encountered seem to be quite enamored with her (see photo).

There is no way to predict rain in England. The sky may be gloomy, and then the rain will come pouring down. Or, the sky may be clear and sunny, and then the rain will come pouring down. So, when we finally reached Stongehenge, it was no surprise at all that the sky opened up with fifteen minutes of downpour.

If you have ever seen the Mona Lisa in person, then you are familiar with the “so
SheepSheepSheep

These sheep are probably in the midst of pooping.
this is it?” feeling. This is precisely how I felt when I saw the rocks of Stonehenge. Frankly, it was a bunch of rocks in a field. That ancient people could transport these rocks in an effort possibly to tell time is rather miraculous, but as someone living in a modern world with skyscrapers, airplanes, and internet, Stonehenge seems unimpressive. The rocks themselves are roped off from visitors, so we just took a photo of them from the road, and then took a bus back to Lottie’s house, where we enjoyed Britain’s favorite form of relaxation—a “cup a tea.”




Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

the sixth member of our trip...the sixth member of our trip...
the sixth member of our trip...

Ashley's ever-present butt crack!
The Horse WhispererThe Horse Whisperer
The Horse Whisperer

romancing the horse...
Dirty Pic #1Dirty Pic #1
Dirty Pic #1

Ashley and Cait beneath the sign for Wilsford Cum Lake.
StonehengeStonehenge
Stonehenge

rocks in a field


Tot: 0.052s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0283s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb