Kew Gardens, Catch Up with Friends And Great Weather.


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Wiltshire » Corsham
July 31st 2018
Published: August 2nd 2018
Edit Blog Post

Catch Up.Catch Up.Catch Up.

In Clevedon with Norman and Rosemary.
Continuing great weather, very hot and dry. We have spent time catching up with friends and some of Di's relatives. Catching up with Norman and Rosemary, in Clevedon was great as we haven't seen them since 2016. Norman and I always spend time discussing and comparing our fishing stories while Di and Rosemary fill each other in re family affairs. A beautiful lunch and good conversation.

We had a day trip up to Fernhurst, Sussex to meet up with friends Jackie and George, who are the parents of Sarah, our neighbour, from back home in NZ. Great to catch up over here as we only see them when they venture south to NZ to spend time with Sarah, Tony and the girls. We meet at a great country pub, Duke Of Cumberland Arms, and had a nice lunch chatting and catching up. Such a nice area as well so after we said our good-byes Di and I went exploring in the area to look at the housing and country side. As in so much in England we loved everything.

Peter Di and I had a fantastic catch up with Di's cousins, Diane and Vivienne up in Bedford. As Di
Cousin Catch Up.Cousin Catch Up.Cousin Catch Up.

Lulu, Peter, Nick, Luke and Pip. In front. Diane, UK, Diane,NZ, and Vivienne, UK. A great catch up.
and I haven't seen them since 1991, it always amazes me when cousins meet up that it is so very very natural for them to fall into conversations so easily, discussing family, events, past and present, children and each other and find that it is all so easy to reconnect, even after all those years have gone by. I do get the warm fuzzies just being a part of these occasions. Promises made of course that this will be the start of regular catch ups when travel permits. A very enjoyable reunion.

On Wednesday Pete and Helen decided to surprise Di for her 70th birthday because we will be in Norway when it falls due in early September. They decided that they, along with Georgie would take us up to The Royal Botanical Gardens, known as Kew Gardens, and then onto somewhere special for a high tea during the afternoon. Kew Gardens is an area of about 300 acres in Brentford on the edge of London, which is well worth a visit if you are in the area. With a lot of walking we managed to cover a lot of the main attractions and we enjoyed it very much.
Cousins.Cousins.Cousins.

A neat time together. Diane, Peter, Diane and Vivienne.
Beautiful trees and shrubs from all over the world, even NZ, and the flower beds were great. A beautiful oasis in the built up area surrounding London and of course full of history.

When leaving the Gardens we headed south and arrived at a beautiful Hotel called Cliveden House in Taplow, near Windsor, which has a very interesting history, the latest part being very very involved with the latest Royal wedding. We were here for the surprise High Tea for Di and of course, she loved it. Also Alex joined us after getting a train down from London. Magic. Entering the driveway and approaching the hotel is beautiful and once you enter the very plush entrance and reception hall you know you are in somewhere special. Walk though the hall and out onto the huge terrace and the views in front of you are spectacular,, across beautiful gardens, huge lawns surrounded by lovely trees and down to the Thames River in the distance. A very peaceful vista that makes you want to just stand there and reflect. A bonus for the day was, as we were walking toward the entrance a few Range Rovers drove up and the "Harry
Catch Up With Friends.Catch Up With Friends.Catch Up With Friends.

Pip, Jackie, Diane and George. Enjoying a lovely lunch and time together. Magic.
" was delivered to a side exit. Perhaps there to pay the bill? Or for an important meeting ? as there were a few Bentleys with HRH plates there as well. Our high tea was lovely with lots of beautiful nibbles and all served with great style. Di, of course loved it all. Once we finished we went for a stroll around the grounds and it was just lovely. I talked to the head gardener, an Aussie , for a while and he was a little concerned that he may have trouble with the grass as it is so so dry. This spell of weather is causing a few problems all around the country.

So now we are into the count down to leaving England and heading off to Norway. Pip/Rod


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

Kew Gardens.Kew Gardens.
Kew Gardens.

Di was so excited. Well worth the walking and the heat. What a great place to relax and enjoy. Such foresight by people so long ago.
Now Here's A Driveway.Now Here's A Driveway.
Now Here's A Driveway.

Stunning approach to the Hotel Cliveden House.
Fantastic Vista.Fantastic Vista.
Fantastic Vista.

Di admires the buildings with the vista in the back ground. A lovely spot to just stand and admire.
Gold Gilt Gates.Gold Gilt Gates.
Gold Gilt Gates.

Di and I trying to look casual amongst some splender.
Thames River.Thames River.
Thames River.

It's a fair distance at this point but something special to have the Thames flowing past at the end of the garden.
Uncle, Auntie and Nieces.Uncle, Auntie and Nieces.
Uncle, Auntie and Nieces.

Pip, Alex, Di and Georgie.
A Beautiful Hotel.A Beautiful Hotel.
A Beautiful Hotel.

Magic setting and lovely place. Note the dry grass.
Castle Combe.Castle Combe.
Castle Combe.

The Manor House would be a magic place to stay in Castle Combe.
NZ Friends At Castle Combe.NZ Friends At Castle Combe.
NZ Friends At Castle Combe.

John Coleman Jan & Dave Goldsack, me and Devon Coleman visiting the Manor House Castle Combe.


Tot: 0.077s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0487s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb