Richmond to Ingleby Cross


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » West Yorkshire
July 25th 2016
Published: July 26th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Today was the longest walk of the trip, at 28 miles, or 45 km. We just kept at it, and completed the day in 8 1/2 hours. We started off from Richmond on the bitumen, but were soon back on the dirt tracks and into fields of wheat, barley and canola, never far from the Swale. There was a detour just before the A1, adding a mile or so on to the trip, crossing the freeway on a new pedestrian bridge. At Bolton-on-Swale! we visited the churchyard which holds the memorial to Henry Jenkins, who supposedly lived to be 169. We had a refreshing tea and biscuits inside, for morning tea. Shortly afterwards, we left the lush green fields and springy track, followping roads for several miles - very hard on the feet! At Danby Wiske, we stopped at the White Swan for lunch, Kerryn's blisters had blisters at this stage, and to conserve her feet for the next few days, elected to taxi to the guesthouse. Euan & Nick stopped off to talk to a farmer, ripping soil, ready for winter wheat, while I continued on with Bev & Kev. A mixture of fields and road walking for several more miles brought us to the A19, where we dodged cars & trucks, making it safely to the other side.It was then a short walk into Ingleby Cross & our digs for the night. We had dinner at the Blue Bell, with Sue & Simon, Bev & Kev, as well as a couple of Germans, who wandered in.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.051s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0262s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb