Border security


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » West Yorkshire » Leeds
February 23rd 2012
Published: February 26th 2012
Edit Blog Post

came close to not entering the uk. Apparently you can't just do what you want as a family here, I forgot to bring the letter from NSW Dept of education allowing the kids to be absent. So the very strict woman at the border challenged us, asking for lots of detail , told us all about Maddie McCann (coudn't see much relevance). If we were from the EU we would have walked right through. Anyway, she finally decided to let us in. I have emailed the principal at school for another copy of the letter - though I doubt it will stop the questioning at each border.



Everyone we've met - and there's been lots of chatting to complete strangers - has been amazed we can have the kids out of school at all if it's not holidays. Things are very very rigid here, it's like the schools here perform a sort of DOC's role - in looking after childrens welfare - maybe this is what Barry O'Farrell is aiming for.

Which reminds me about Aus politics - what on earth is Kevin Rudd thinking??

So, we got here - lovely weather - about 15 degrees, by the time we'd unpacked in this spectacular house (it is truely beautiful) it was time to head off and go hunter gathering for dinner.

Joy of joys, a km or so away is Tesco. Oh the english do supermarkets sooooooo well. If I didn't have the kids with me I'd still be there! I am trying hard to restrain myself but as you all know - shopping is a weakness, especially if i think something is a bargain. MY FAVOURITE bargain to this point is the 2 litre bottle of Tescos own brand alcoholic cider for 1.67 pounds! Bread is 40p a loaf. You can see when people come to Aus from here why they find it so expensive. All basic are cheap - fruit and veges are really good quality and lots of 2 for 1 offers on everything. i really have to think and not just shop!

Spag bog for dinner - and Greg and kids in bed by 5pm, I sat up talking to myself about how excited i was until about 7pm.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.194s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 40; dbt: 0.0884s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb