Cycle Sydney to Perth - Nov - Dec 2012


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » West Sussex » Littlehampton
January 23rd 2013
Published: January 23rd 2013
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Sydney to Perth

4360 Kms in between 14th November and 16th December 2012

Cycle from Sydney to Perth! What all the way across? Are you sure! That’s an awful long way. Why would you want to? What about the deadly snakes and killer spiders? I’ve heard the road trains don’t stop for anything! Drivers are all doing speed. Where will you get enough water in that heat?



It’s 4,360 kms and it’s a blast. You get to cycle good quality sealed roads, dirt tracks, mountain passes. You track the third longest navigable river in the world, past wheat plains and vineyards. Cruise across treeless desert and check out hard core mining towns. Throw in a 146km straight road that disappears to the horizon in both directions, with you a tiny dot on an endless 360 degree landscape and picture yourself smiling and listening to the wind whistle across the plain.



Watch the sun rise through the tree scape, and you start to realise that cycling Sydney to Perth isn’t mad it’s pure awesome, breath taking adventure.



You discover that dingoes can follow you comfortably at 20mph, and Roos can shift at over 25mph. Snakes can move pretty quickly too. How can they move so fast with no legs?



The 7 challenges facing an intrepid trans-Australia cyclist are road side gravel, wind, heat, hills, road kill, caravan trailers and road trains. In that order. Other than that it’s actually very easy, you get there, set up your “rig”, point your bike in the right direction and start with a single minded determination to finish.


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



Tot: 0.107s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 52; dbt: 0.067s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 4; ; mem: 1.1mb