Stratford and beyond (almost).


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Warwickshire » Stratford-upon-Avon
September 23rd 2022
Published: September 23rd 2022
Edit Blog Post

Tourist time again and we are in Warwickshire. Managing to stay out of Stratford during the day and then visit in the late afternoon and evening for the performances. Last night we saw Richard III. It was excellent. The Royal Shakespeare Company do things so well. The theatre was packed and I’d estimate about 750 would attend and every time we have been you’d be lucky to find a dozen spare seats. Some of those seats are in fact standing ’seats’ as the theatre is modelled on the ‘old globe’ used in Shakespeare’s time. There are some obstructed viewing seats (but they are clearly marked on the booking site) but the theatre is very atmospheric and very appropriate for the productions. Seats are expensive but it’s certainly a case of ‘the price is forgotten while the quality remains’. The plays always fit the description of ‘performances not productions’ as the sets are disarmingly simple. The power of the play comes from the writing and the delivery. The sets and scenery is so simple that each night a different play is on, the season alternating between 2 productions each day. Obviously that enables tourists to see 2 plays in 2 nights. I fully expect to see some of the cast from Richard III in the performance of ‘All’s Well that Ends Well’ tonight.
Today we drove to Warwick. Parked in the car park of the castle then visited the town! Warwick Castle is magnificent but we didn’t have the time to spend enough time there to justify a £29 each entrance fee and that was with seniors discount! The town is charming. It’s old, historically interesting and it has a tea room. All those characteristics are important but I have not listed them in order of importance for us! The town is easy to get to and we are becoming quite accustomed to driving in and around Stratford. Obviously we go in again this evening. We have even become accustomed to paying some ridiculous amount to park the car, I don’t like it but I’ve become accustomed to it. This park and display lurk could pay of the national debt!
It’s rest time for Lee at the moment so she is ready to tackle another Shakespeare. Same BnB as the last couple of nights and just as comfy as ever. Very attractive gardens and apart from the clip clop of horse hooves in the early morning very rural and very relaxing. They have bees and chooks as well but that means little as it’s not a breakfast place. Somehow one the B’s in Airbnb seemed to dropped out over time.

I’m off to get a couple of treats for when Lee comes good. So caio for now. And good luck, Cats.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 14; qc: 31; dbt: 0.037s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb