ON THE ROAD in Northumberland, England


Advertisement
Published: December 31st 2016
Edit Blog Post

I visited the Heritage Coast of Northumberland when our ship, the new Koningsdam docked in Newcastle upon Tyne, England last August. I had opted to hire a private car and driver to take us to visit as much as possible in the time allotted. This strip of coast contains England’s greatest sequence of coastal castles.

We had time to visit two of the best, Bamburgh Castle and Alnwick Garden and Castle. We also made photo stops at Warkworth Castle and Tynemouth. If you only have time to visit one castle, massive Bamburgh Castle is the one to see. You can wander through 14 magnificent public rooms and enjoy the breathtaking views of the Northumberland coast from atop a volcanic outcrop, 150 feet above sea level.

Alnwick Castle has been home and still is to the Dukes of Northumberland for over 700 years. The gardens were a pleasant place to have lunch prior to strolling the extensive grounds.

There are many other attractions to see in this area that we did not have time to see during our all too short stay in Newcastle. Others include: Chillingham Castle, a 12th century stronghold is a short drive from the outstanding Northumberland Coast and is surrounded by impeccable Italian gardens; Belsay Hall, Castle and Gardens; Hexham Abbey founded in 674 AD; and Lindisfarne Castle that’s accessible only when the tide is out.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Bamburgh CastleBamburgh Castle
Bamburgh Castle

Great Hall


Tot: 0.211s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0782s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb