Day 88 - to Milford, edge of Cannock Chase, and back to Tixall.


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Staffordshire
August 11th 2013
Published: August 11th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Day 88 - Tixall Wide westwards and back again.


2 locks, 406 in total.







We decided to go only a few miles along the Staffs & Worcs before turning around and mooring at Tixall Wide again tonight. For some reason everyone was on the move very early today – first boat passed us at 6 am – and by the time we reached the lock there were 5 boats already waiting. Then we were joined by a couple of day boats full of ladies celebrating a 40th birthday – they had no idea what they were doing but they were doing it very noisily – yes, I'm dissing the 'sisterhood' here! The chap from their boatyard who had to see them through the lock wasn't too happy either.







A little road walk from one of the bridges took us to Milford Common, part of Cannock Chase and we had a lovely varied walk, starting across the large village green to where individual trails began. We walked a loop beginning with an area of mixed but open woodland with little undergrowth. Then came an area of ancient oak woodland; these trees were not very tall and over the years had lost various branches, as oaks do. There were some ponds, then areas of fern, heather and bilberries. The soil was well-drained and mostly sandy with round pebbles of varying size so I assume that this was all underwater sometime in its history. All in all it was very pleasant walking. The trail looped around the Berkswich Millennium Sundial so at one point we went 'off-piste' and headed steeply uphill along a promising path and found the sundial straightaway, along with the most glorious views broadly northwards.







After lunch we motored to the turning point but by this time the wind was very strong and gusty. It was not a text book manoeuvre. Every time the boat managed more than a quarter turn, the wind pushed the stern back again – basically we were stuck across the canal and were so lucky that nothing was coming either way. The boat pole wasn't enough to push us round so John had to leap ashore and pull us round on the stern line whilst I swung the bows on the engine – one false move and he would have been in the water!
The wind is still blowing hard even now and Tixall Wide is distinctly choppy. We've noticed since we've been away how frequently the wind has dropped in the evening and overnight so we may yet have a millpond mooring tonight.


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

The stones have the hours of the day.The stones have the hours of the day.
The stones have the hours of the day.

Stand on the plate on the appropriate month and your shadow will fall across the stone denoting the hour of day.
A modern pumping station.A modern pumping station.
A modern pumping station.

Do you rmember the beauty of the Victorian one at Stockton Brook?


12th August 2013

Morning!
Hello Helen, John and Hattie, I am sorry for the noisy 40 somethings, how rude they should encroach on your 'turf', making noise and having fun, and probably drinking too, cant see the point of it myself :) Looking at your map it seems that you are still, not matter how far and wide you travel, never far from a Hayward (Haywood), Little and Great I see not more than a stones throw. Have a lovely day today, they say the weather is set fair for this week, so happy chugging! xx love to all Amanda
13th August 2013

Haywood/Hayward?
I agree - you just can't get away from them!

Tot: 0.138s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0747s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb