Day 87 - and onto the Staffs & Worcs again.


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Staffordshire
August 10th 2013
Published: August 10th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Day 87 - onto the Staffs & Worcs at Tixall Wide.


3 locks, 404 in total.







It was quite slow going this morning so just as well we weren't in a hurry. Quite long stretches of the off-side of the canal were either private moorings alongside farmland or small boatyards and wharves – either way, we had to drop our speed to tickover as we passed the moored boats but I still enjoy looking at them all. One chap seemed to have bought about an acre of land for his mooring – he had his own tractor for grass cutting and an open-sided summerhouse for alfresco dining – all very appealing. We passed the village of Weston which has a variety of housing, old/new/converted, and all of it was good.







The farm shop at Great Haywood is superb – open 7 days a week and it must be a boon to the village, let alone passing boaters and hirers. Very reasonable prices too. We then turned right onto the Staffs & Worcs canal again – we cruised a different section of this canal earlier this trip, between the Stourbridge and Shropshire Union canals when we had to detour
Accommodation bridge by the mooring.Accommodation bridge by the mooring.Accommodation bridge by the mooring.

Now part of Two Saints' Way
around Wolverhampton. Incidentally, the Wolverhampton Flight will re-open this Monday after 8 weeks closure – just as well we didn't wait! We thought we'd just venture a little way as we have time in hand and we fancied mooring at Tixall Wide, more lake than canal and, like Wide Water on the K & A, was built as a sop to the local landowner who didn't want to see a dirty canal from his land. Unlike Wide Water though, Tixall Wide is deep enough for navigation the whole way across. Shortly after we'd moored, a narrowboat came along on the far side and we assumed he was turning around to head back. But no, he was having a playful moment and turned 2 tight circles then continued on his way – very amusing. Not so funny was the high-pitched whine we heard from our engine as we were mooring at Tixall and which didn't stop when I turned the engine off. Then I realised that the noise was coming from a neighbouring boat who were trying without success to tune their satellite dish – I was very relieved.







We met someone today who came down the Shroppie last week and was very delayed at Audlem where there were about 12 boats in front of him in the queue for the first lock and even more coming the other way. He reckoned that each lock (of 15) took about 40 minutes to negotiate – so pleased we went up through them in the off-peak season.


Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement

Successful reinforcing of the canal edge.Successful reinforcing of the canal edge.
Successful reinforcing of the canal edge.

Planted with Purple Loosestrife and reeds.
The Holly Bush, Salt.The Holly Bush, Salt.
The Holly Bush, Salt.

16th century thatched inn.

Can anyone identufy this flower please?Can anyone identufy this flower please?
Can anyone identufy this flower please?

It looked really good in the planters.


The beautiful bridge at Great Haywood.The beautiful bridge at Great Haywood.
The beautiful bridge at Great Haywood.

This was across the entry onto the Staffs & Worcs - for once the span was quite wide so turning in was very easy.
Hattie again.....Hattie again.....
Hattie again.....

... she leaped over this wall from the right and we don't know if she struck lucky and landed on the buttress or if she fell 5 feet - no harm done anyway.

Tixall WideTixall Wide
Tixall Wide

Hoping for better photo tomorrow when sun has moved around.


10th August 2013

Friends
Hi Our friends who now spend quite a lot of their time here in France were intrigued when I told them of your trip. They have looked at the blog and have found pictures of their boatyard at Wolverhampton in day 42. June is now so fascinated by your tour that she has spent most of the last week charting your progress to date and hopes to continue with your journey to the end.
11th August 2013

Unsought fame! Very pleased that June is enjoying it but I am finding it increasingly difficult to make it interesting and without repetition, hesitation or deviation.

Tot: 0.064s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0264s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb