Time to sum up and reflect


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Staffordshire » Rugeley
August 19th 2016
Published: October 22nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 52.757, -1.93461

We eventually left Rookesbury Park on Sunday, 7th August (Day 108) after spending many days getting to know Elena, our first grandchild. Precious moments, but a wrench having to say goodbye, for now at least. Thankfully the journey back to our home was straightforward and by lunchtime we were beginning the task of emptying our 'holiday home from home', preparing it for going back into storage until the next time. The day ended on a high too as we were reunited with our son and his girlfriend over a dinner of roast beef and all the trimmings prepared by Janet, my sister-in-law. She had obviously remembered our conversations about things we miss whilst away for long periods of time, and that was one of them. A perfect ending to a great trip.

The caravan site was considerably busier than when we had left there back in April to catch the ferry from Portsmouth, with so many families, and those with children being the school holidays, bikes, scooters and skateboards were very much in evidence. This endorsed our reasons for travelling out of season since for three months we had enjoyed relative peace and tranquility. In keeping with this stress-free environment, we purposely avoided cities too, though we did come close to visiting Nimes in Languedoc but the aborted search for car parking prompted us to do a prompt U-turn and head back to the campsite.

Remarkably we renewed acquaintance with two couples both of whom we had met in 2014. We were not surprised to meet up with Chris and Gordana near Le Lavandou (Provence) as it is a regular haunt of theirs, and as I write this, I wouldn't be at all surprised if they are not on their way back for their late summer stay at this idyllic seaside spot on the Riviera. Sorry we are unable to join them, but perhaps another year, since they are a lovely couple and such good company, not to mention Chris being bike buddy for David, much to Gordana's relief.

The other chance encounter came at Rookesbury Park when as I walked down the site back towards the caravan, a man going in the opposite direction said hello, as friendly caravan folk do. I did think at the time he looked familiar, but a little while later he approached our caravan where we were just relaxing, and called me by my name in a foreign accent. It then dawned on me who he was. We first met Andre, his wife Esther and their youngest daughter, Noortje, towards the end of our trip in northern France at the stop prior to heading for Calais. After leaving home in The Netherlands, they were just starting out on their three-week holiday - quite an adventurous itinerary taking in Normandy, tunnel to Folkestone, then Windsor and Wales.

Whilst at the site in France, during the evening we all sat out enjoying a glass of wine and nibbles as the sun set discussing our respective travels. Since one of their intended campsites in north Wales was not too far away from our home, we exchanged contact details and offered to meet up with them during their stay if it was convenient. Indeed, a few weeks later we were pleased to receive a 'phone call from Esther to say that they were at a site near Wrexham, so the following day we drove up to meet with them and enjoyed a tasty pub lunch.

This time they were travelling without Noortje and have focussed on the West Country, including Glastonbury, Bath, Tintagel (Cornwall) and, of course, Hampshire. With a ferry crossing from Harwich booked for a couple of days hence, we managed to catch up with them over a coffee, then a lunch in nearby Wickham where I was able to eat another of my favourite meals - fish and chips. We are all astounded at the coincidence of our reunion and hope that our paths may cross again sometime since they have other British locations on their bucket list.

In conclusion, here are a few observations...

- 3,800 miles covered by car, obviously not all towing;
- 13 times pitching up (twice at Rookesbury Park);
- 25 nights at Saint Clair and the longest we have ever stayed in one place, and we would still like to return sometime;
- Camping La Brouquere, Gondrin, was my favourite site this year since it was pretty near perfect - quiet location, beautiful view, friendly hosts (because Sonia and Walter are more than campsite owners/managers, going the extra mile to ensure their clients have a memorable stay, she's an excellent cook too);
- 2 rainy days in 3 months - we have been blessed with good weather despite the horrendous floods suffered in the Loire, but by the time we reached the region in July, the ground was quite parched so the other extreme;
- fuel strike - did not affect us greatly though we did see queues at filling stations and managed to keep the tank topped up;
- Brexit - we did not vote since we were out of the country, but it was very much a topic of conversation with all nationalities who tended to express unease in their own countries as well;
- Euro 2016 was another ongoing subject for discussion, particularly with our Belgian neighbours Eric and Ann following Wales' surprising win against their home team;
- favourite meal - a difficult one since there were many good ones, but for sheer indulgence it would have to be La Petite Maison in Cucuron with its Michelin 1*, where we ate seven courses of delicious, beautifully prepared food in a delightful setting.

So that's our 2016 tour put to bed and who knows where we may end up in 2017. In the meantime, thanks to those who have kept in touch and 'travelled' with us.











Advertisement



Tot: 0.191s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0517s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb